Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 19th October 2012, 16:54

Marcel Hogenhuis will become famous soon enough
Re: He 219 found in Denmark !!!

Hello all,

Wonderful news (and pictures) about this engine, thanks Kim, Tony, Ed and Steve.
The DB 603 E-1 with 016 03099 was produced by POMO Stettin (other DB 603 E's were produced at DB Marienfelde, as can be seen with He219 Wnr.310180).

As the E-type does indeed refer to the He219A-7 subtype, we have about 75 possible Werkenummer left of which one belongs to the He219 at Hirtshals (other He219A-7 were either lost elsewhere or found after the war).

Jolly good show and I still pity the fact, that the history of the I./NJG 3 in the last months of the war, hasn't been researched extensively when a lot of veterans were still alive... I am sure that this loss would have popped up some time.

I am still wondering where the missing tail section has gone to (unintentionally recovered by fishermen in the years after the war?)

The search goes on, all the best,

Marcel
- airfield Venlo in WW-2
- He219 research project
Old 19th October 2012, 20:49

Karl

Dear Tony,

thank you very much about telling us the Werknummern of the two DB603 engines of the "NASM-He219".

In an other thread over at LEMB, see
http://www.luftwaffe-experten.org/fo...howtopic=16707
there is a discussion, whether the NASM He219 is really WNr 290 202. On the tail unit "290 060" was discovered and, taking into account yours and other informations, the NASM-DB603 engine WNrs do not fit to 290 202.
The camouflage pattern found at the "NASM-He219" also rather would match more with WNr 290 060.

Karl

http://www.luftwaffe-experten.org/fo...howtopic=16707
Old 19th October 2012, 21:10

Tony Kambic will become famous soon enough

Karl,

Great to see the expertise and analysis on the LEMB board. I thought I had mentioned this in an eariler posting here. You are correct based upon the information I found in some old paperwork on the restoration of the NASM He-219:

Vertical Stabs. from FE 613 (Werk# 290060) Engines from FE 612 (Werk# 210903)

I found this on an old piece of documentation so I cannot quote the source and since three aircraft were brought to the US after the war, it is easily possible. Reading a few different books on Watson's Whizzers, they pieced together aircraft when different parts were damaged or they did not have confidence in them. From this we can assume the engines were from 210903

Tony
Old 19th October 2012, 22:42
Alter Hase

ju55dk will become famous soon enough

"Jolly good show and I still pity the fact, that the history of the I./NJG 3 in the last months of the war, hasn't been researched extensively when a lot of veterans were still alive... I am sure that this loss would have popped up some time."

Carsten and I have done extensive research into I/NJG 3, and its time in Denmark. None of the veterans have ever mentioned a loss of a He 219 in 1945. What almost all agreed on were the dislike of the type!

Junker
Old 20th October 2012, 09:52

Hello Jorn

Apologies when I have offended you and/or Carsten in any way: not my intention of course! I intended to say that (to my imperfect knowledge) no Rokker-like "I./NJG 3 Chronik" hadn't been published which of course does not contain all we want to know about that Gruppe.

Now about the identity of the NASM He219: I have a picture - provided by Tony if I am correct - showing the triangular ID plate with... Wnr.210902, which to my opinion is the real ID of the aircraft, not the tail or engines which might have been changed after the war in the USA.

If the Danish He219 had DB 603E engines the A-7 subtype is the type we search for and I am sorry to say that our chances to find the Werkenummer of the bird are bleak...unless an ID tag or missing tailsectiln can be found. The wing section could be vital.

All the best, Marcel
Old 22nd October 2012, 21:10

Tony Kambic will become famous soon enough

Marcel,

I did not have an image of the NASM He-219 data plate, but was able to graciously obtain one today. So here it is, rather close up but I think most know the location in the aircraft.

I am also learning about TOCH and the upload limitations, as I had to battle reducing it's size and getting rid of other images I have uploaded.

Tony

Last edited by Tony Kambic; 17th February 2015 at 15:17.
Old 23rd October 2012, 01:19

Hello Tony,

That is the picture! This identifies the aircraft, whatever removable parts like engines, tail sections or rudders may suggest. We know for instance of Wnr. 190061 which crashed in a lake near Mirow that it had the tailsection... of Wnr. 190063.

I still have the feeling - but no more than that - that a He219A-7 so far north in Denmark, points to the l/NJG3.

All the best, Marcel
Old 25th October 2012, 10:49

Kim Christiansen is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: He 219 found in Denmark !!!

Hello All.

@ Tony
Can you look at NASM plane where the ID plate is attached (Spant no.?)

@ Marcel
It seems that the trigger is pulled on the Catapult seat,
is there some hidden records on statistics, on this subject ?

Sincerely,
Kim Christiansen

http://www.danas-have.dk/He219.htm
Old 25th October 2012, 13:08

Hello Kim

I believe that it was Spant no.31, see He219 Handbuch Teil 0, page 14. Spant no.31 has the circular hole for the Kärcher heater and on the rear side - as seen through the opened inspection hatch - this triangular ID plate was attached. That part and the rest of the tail section of 'your' He219 is missing.

I don't quite understand your question about the ejection seat: can you rephrase this? Which seat exactly is meant: the front or rear seat? Waht do you mean with 'hidden records' (though I admit that there is still a lot of unexplored files around on my 'to do' list)

Looking forward to hear from you! All the best, Marcel
Old 25th October 2012, 13:16
Alter Hase

Graham Boak is on a distinguished road

At the risk of diverting the thread, could you perhaps expand on the comment that NJG3 veterans were united in a dislike of the type? What was it about the aircraft that led to this opinion?