Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 31st May 2012, 17:02
Alter Hase

Marc-André Haldimann will become famous soon enough
Re: Late war Bf 109 pictures source

Hi Franck,

Yep, there are good and not often published... Will think of all the needed items if it works out;-))

Cheers
Marc
Old 31st May 2012, 17:16
Alter Hase

Franck,

As an afterthought, the most satisfying one is certainly Bf 109 G-6/AS W.Nr. 163 987 "Weisse 10" from II./JG 3 in Nogent-le-Roi. This pic keeps on popping up in Ebay, always shown partially and distorted. Fernandez-Sommerau publishes it, and part of the "Weisse 10" can just be glimpsed, it allows positive identification of this machine thanks to the lists of Luftwaffe fighters found on the liberated airfields by Allied troops, published by J.-B. Frappé in 1996.

The most aesthetic one is certainly Bf 109 G-8 "Schwarze 11" of NAGr. 9, somewhere near... Santhià;-))

Cheers
Marc
Cheers
Old 1st June 2012, 01:53
Alter Hase

ouidjat is on a distinguished road

Hello Marc,

Yes...
Why not? But it's flat everywhere from Torino to Venezia around the Po. Rice field? difficult to say ... and point a place.
But in a Cascina for sure! a 100%!

Cheers, Franck.
Old 9th June 2012, 23:18
Alter Hase

An odd test in 1944?

Except the tall tail unit, nothing allows the identification of the place and the sense of the ongoing test activities.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/2809206...in/photostream

All informations will be highly appreciated.
Cheers
Marc
Old 10th June 2012, 19:31

S Sheflin will become famous soon enough

Hello Marc,

I don’t have a copy of the famous photo to which you refer in front of me right now, but unless I am mistaken, I believe that “Bf 109 G-6/AS W.Nr. 163 987 "Weisse 10" from II./JG 3 in Nogent-le-Roi,” is actually a 109G-6 and not an AS.

Crashed Enemy Aircraft (CEA) report #257 lists its engine as being, DB605A-1, WNr. 007 07724; and all of the technical details I in my database indicate a G-6.

If I am wrong in this, I would love to correct my files.

Steve Sheflin
Old 10th June 2012, 21:23

veltro is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc-André Haldimann View Post
The most aesthetic one is certainly Bf 109 G-8 "Schwarze 11" of NAGr. 9, somewhere near... Santhià;-))
Sorry to intervene this late, but I read the latest additions to the thread only now.

Where it is stated or ascertained that the photo indicated was taken in Italy...? As far as the thread we had on it is concerned, it could have been taken anywhere in Southern Europe. And there is simply no proof at all that it belonged to NAGr.11.

These are the facts so far, any further proof of anthing else would be truly welcome.

Ferdinando D'Amico
Old 10th June 2012, 23:07
Alter Hase

Hi there Steve,

Here it is: oddly enough, there were two "Weisse 10" found in Nogent-le-Roi.

The first one is the well known W.Nr. 166 224, and the second is W.Nr. 163 987, of which I attached the pic here. You will notice the vertical bar of the "1" showing under the GI's thigh who leans in the cockpit, whilst the second digit "0" can bearly be seen at the height of the neck and chin of the second, standing GI.

I agree that the list of planes does not mention an AS engine...but the photo shows otherwise...

Cheers
Marc

Last edited by Marc-André Haldimann; 28th April 2014 at 08:22.
Old 10th June 2012, 23:09
Alter Hase

Quote:
Originally Posted by veltro View Post
Sorry to intervene this late, but I read the latest additions to the thread only now.

Where it is stated or ascertained that the photo indicated was taken in Italy...? As far as the thread we had on it is concerned, it could have been taken anywhere in Southern Europe. And there is simply no proof at all that it belonged to NAGr.11.

These are the facts so far, any further proof of anthing else would be truly welcome.
Ferdinando, it is never too late. I changed the caption accordingly by inserting question marks behind all given indications. If you do feel, it would be wiser to cancel the given tentative legend, I will do so.

Sincerely
Marc
Old 10th June 2012, 23:24

veltro is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc-André Haldimann View Post
Ferdinando, it is never too late. I changed the caption accordingly by inserting question marks behind all given indications. If you do feel, it would be wiser to cancel the given tentative legend, I will do so.
IMHO, it would be wiser... much wiser considering not only the virtual absence of any proof or recognization of its identity but also the aspect of reference that your excellent work has assumed in a short time.

And from this, to find elsewhere quoted as a fact your "tentative identity proposal" (as written in too much smaller characters below the data accompanying the photograph - BTW the only question mark I see is after the Werke Nummer, not enough, it seems - a fact that will be overlooked by those looking only for certainties in the caption), the step is very short.

Your work of collecting and making visible late Bf 109 images from various sources is more than commendable (I'd rather say invaluable), but trying to make ends meet at all costs is a way to ruin this, believe me.

Thanks as always for your attention

Ferdinando D'Amico
Old 10th June 2012, 23:29
Alter Hase

Ferdinando,

Many thanks for your praise! I will stand true to the hoped for standard and thus "neutralize" the legend, as safety of research obviously commends.

Cheers
Marc