Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Post-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation

Post-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation Please use this forum to discuss Military and Naval Aviation after the Second World War.

Old 16th January 2011, 11:43

alex crawford
Warwick PN749 crash 16 May 1946

Hi,

I have the following info on Warwick V PN749 from 6 OTU that crashed on 16th May 1946.

The Warwick was circling Leuchars when the port engine failed. The aircraft lost height and crashed on the main Newport-St Andrews roads and burst into flames. All five crewmen were killed. John Driscoll, a 19 year ploughman who was working in an adjacent field later reported;

‘I saw a two engine aeroplane circling the aerodrome and it seemed to be in trouble. It was flying very low and the engines were banging. A short distance away from me the port engine stopped and the aeroplane went into a dive. I thought it was going to come into the field, but it swerved and crashed onto the road. It immediately burst into flames.’

Airmen from the aerodrome tried to get into the Warwick to rescue the crew but they were driven back by the flames. The station fire brigade as well as units from St Andrews and other areas tackled the blaze. The road was closed for two days while an investigation was carried out.

As yet I have still to identify the crew. From a search of the CWGC using Geoffs search engine I have found five possibilities.

Flt Sgt N F Bates, 1584225, pilot
Wt Off J A Willmott, 1801146, pilot.
Flt Sgt S V Titchener, 1850792, nav.
Flt Sgt G R Green, 1867362, WOP/AG.
Wt Off J P Magee, 1820581, WOP/AIR.

Would anyone know if any of the above were part of the Warwick crew?

Any help appreciated.

Alex
Old 17th January 2011, 13:32

dp_burke is on a distinguished road
Re: Warwick PN749 crash 16 May 1946

All three names appear to be registered dead in the Leuchers district of Fife in 1946.

You need to sign up to an account with scotlandspeople.gov.uk and you can then do searches for the names and you will see how many results you get for a name, i.e. there is only one S V Titchener in 1946. You do not have to pay for credits but can narrow down the location by trial and error. In this case you know the location.
http://www.ww2irishaviation.com
Old 17th January 2011, 23:04

alex crawford
Re: Warwick PN749 crash 16 May 1946

Hi Dennis,

I am registered with scotlands people. For a while I looked into my family tree. I keep forgetting it's a useful tool for the type of research I am doing.

Regards,

Alex