Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 17th November 2013, 04:10

Andrew Arthy will become famous soon enoughAndrew Arthy will become famous soon enough
Air War Publications news

Hi,

There is some news to share from the Air War Publications team.

We are very happy to announce a new release, and this time it’s a little different from our usual fare: an article on the Swedish dalliance with the Handley Page Hampden bomber. With war seemingly looming in the 1930s, the Swedes underwent a search for a multi-purpose bomber. The Swedish government was very keen on the Hampden, much to the annoyance of the Swedish air force, and one example of the British bomber eventually found its way to Sweden, but it was a six-year tale of mismanagement, delays and poor decisions.

The story is ably told by Swedish aviation historian Mikael Olrog, and is illustrated with 31 photographs and a pair of excellent colour profiles by Angel Sanchez of the Hampden in Swedish markings. For the modellers there are numerous technical shots of the Swedish Hampden, including the special modifications requested by the Swedes. This article is available for purchase and download here: http://www.airwarpublications.com/earticles

Our second piece of news is that version 2 of our free glossary has been uploaded to the company website. This version includes over 30 new entries and a few corrections (with thanks to Nick Beale for many of them), and is now ready for download. In addition, two valuable new sections have been added – a Luftwaffe camouflage colour overview, and a section on aircraft anatomy. Download the glossary here: http://www.airwarpublications.com/free-downloads.

Last but not least, Morten arrives in Australia in six days for a two month stay, so we'll be able to work together on our various projects. It should be good!

All the best,
Andrew & Morten
Air War Publications - www.airwarpublications.com
Old 11th March 2014, 05:03

Andrew Arthy will become famous soon enoughAndrew Arthy will become famous soon enough
Re: Air War Publications news

Hi,

Here's a taste of what the Air War Publications team has been busy working on in the last few months: http://www.airwarpublications.com/wu...-earticle.html

All the best,
Andrew A.
Air War Publications - www.facebook.com/airwarpublications
Old 11th March 2014, 19:16
Alter Hase

Jukka Juutinen is an unknown quantity at this point

Regarding e-articles, I was recently sent an invitation to an online poll. One of the question was "If there was a new book, would you buy

a) a hardcover for 25 euros
b) an e-book for 25 euros?"

I answered a. The question was repeated, but the e-book price was reduced by 5 euros each time. The final question tried to sell the e-book for free. I selected a...
Old 11th March 2014, 21:09

AndreasB is on a distinguished road

Well, having seen and reviewed the draft article, you are of course welcome to your insistence on keeping Finnish paper mills in business, but you and everybody else who has that view thereby cut yourself off from the information, and you will probably still leave Andy and Morten financially better off than if they had tried to produce this as a book and shop it to publishers. I'd shrug it off if I were them. I also don't understand why you feel the need to have this as the only content to your reply to some people's effort to make knowledge accessible, without even the politest nod towards thanking those who researched and worked on that article for digging all this information out. I think it's just plain rude of you. All the best Andreas
Old 11th March 2014, 22:24

mars

Hi, Andrew, I bought both of your FW 190 books, all of these eAticles are fine, but as a old fashion guy, I would prefer lying down on my couch after meal, a cup of nice hot teat beside me, with a real book in my hands. So I just want to know, when will your next book be on the market?
Old 12th March 2014, 00:42

Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses.

Mars & Jukka: We entirely understand your points of view. There will always be a section of the market with no interest in electronic articles, and that is fine. Morten and I both prefer printed books ourselves, but the eArticle method allows us to release some of our smaller research projects in a much more timely fashion.

And of course the eArticles are laid out in a way that makes them printable, so they don’t have to be read on a computer. We have three already available here: http://www.airwarpublications.com/earticles, so if anyone is curious, please go check them out.

Mars: We don't like giving planned publication dates, because they invariably prove to be wrong! Air War Courland will be the next one out, but due to various commitments I didn't work on it at all in the last four or five months. However, in the last few days I've got back into it again. A majority of the research has been done, and once I’ve settled on a structure I’ll begin writing (which is actually the easy part after years of gathering material!).

Andreas: Thanks for the kind words, and to answer your email, yes, please do re-blog the announcement. I'll get back to you soon with a more detailed reply.

The Wüstennotstaffel article is a really fascinating one, and will hopefully be the definitive story of the unit.

All the best,
Andrew A.
Air War Publications - www.airwarpublications.com
Old 6th November 2015, 10:25
Alter Hase

Nokose will become famous soon enough

Hi Andrew,
Is there any update on "Air War Courland"?
Old 6th November 2015, 11:53

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the interest (and patience, given that I've been talking about this book for a decade or more ...). After a four month break from the Air War Courland project, I've been working on it in the last week, and will continue to do so for the remainder of the year. The research is 90 per cent done, and I've nearly finalized the book structure. Both of those tasks should be completed before the end of the year. Then it's a matter of writing it, which I hope to do in March/April next year (and plan to take a month or two off work in order to do so).

After so many years of research, it will be nice to finally tell the story. There are more than enough sources, from both sides, and plenty of first-hand accounts.

Cheers,
Andrew A.
Air War Publications - www.airwarpublications.com/earticles