Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 5th February 2009, 10:11
Alter Hase

Alain57 is on a distinguished road
Arrow F3A-3 Havocs crash at Le Culot airfield Belgium

Hello ,

In the evening of march 15 1945 two F-3A-3 Havocs from 155 NPRS were shot down during their landing at le Culot airfield in Belgium.Is there someone who can help me with additional info on these two crashes ?
Old 5th February 2009, 19:13
Alter Hase

Leendert will become famous soon enough
Re: F3A-3 Havocs crash at Le Culot airfield Belgium

Alain,

I have no info about casualties, cause and/or location, but F-3 Havocs 43-9876 and 43-21461 are both listed as lost on 16 March 1945 while operating for 155 Photo Recce Squadron.

Not that many A-20 Havocs were converted to F-3 recce ships, so there's a chance that mentioned F-3s have something to do with your question is big, but found no trace yet that confirms my thought.

Groet,

Leendert
Old 5th February 2009, 20:45
Alter Hase

ClinA-78 is on a distinguished road

Hello,

Hptm Heinz Rökker has claimed a B-25 and a Mosquito on the 16th March 1945 (respectively at 21h26 and 21h34 at Saint-Trond airbase; source : Luftwaffe Nightfighter Combat Claims) but recent research and interview of this talentuous pilot lead to the conclusion it would be those two Havoc.

Best regards
Old 6th February 2009, 08:40
Alter Hase

Alain57 is on a distinguished road

Hello gentlemen ,

Thanks for the help. I found this information in Theo Boiten latest book Nagjagd War Diaries Vol 2 page 322.
Greets
Old 7th February 2009, 01:17

dreardon is on a distinguished road

I am researching 155 NPRS, Tom Ivie follows this squadron with the 10th PRG in his book until end of Feb. 1945/early March when they transfer to 67th group. Can anyone recommend a reference I can use to follow their exploits hereafter?

Go gentle with me, I'm a complete newbie
Old 7th February 2009, 08:40

RodM will become famous soon enough

Hello,

here is the relevant extract from "Nachtjagd War Diaries Vol. 2" (RedKite, 2008):

"Hptm. Rökker and crew had set course for St. Trond, where they intended to intrude upon that airfield’s circuit. In fact, Rökker actually arrived over Le Culot airfield, to the W of St. Trond and home to the 155th (Night) Photographic Reconnaissance Squadron of the USAAF 9th Air Force, which had two Douglas F-3A Havocs, the reconnaissance version of the A-20 bomber, airborne on a training exercise. At 21.24 hrs, the ace crew spotted a “B-25” with its navigation lights burning – in fact an F-3A flown by Lt. Bates – and two minutes later Rökker quickly dispatched the twin-engined aircraft with his Schräge Musik cannon. 61 years later, Hptm. Rökker recalled: “I can remember that we had difficulty identifying the aircraft type of our first Abschuss. Never before had we shot down a twin-engined aircraft burning its navigation lights at night. We were rather irritated by these lights, which explains why we assumed to have recognised an aircraft with a twin tail fin. Anyway, as the German saying goes: ‘Bei Nacht sind alle Katzen grau’ (‘By night, all cats are grey’).” At around 21.34 hrs, Rökker positioned himself behind a “Mosquito” that was on a landing approach to Le Culot – in fact, it was an F-3A flown by Lt. Dickinson. A single burst of fire from the frontal guns set both wings of the aircraft on fire and it was seen to crash by the ace crew. Witnesses on the ground saw Rökker’s burst of fire cause the starboard wing and engine of Dickinson’s aircraft to burst into flames before the F-3A plunged down vertically and exploded along the side of the runway. Rökker’s Ju-88 was then briefly illuminated as he made a steep climbing turn and flew through a part of a searchlight cone over the airfield. These were Hptm. Rökker’s 63rd to 64th and final Abschüsse of the war. Both of the American pilots were killed."

If anyone can provide a definitive answer as to the serials of these two F-3As, it would be greatly appreciated...

Regards

RodM
Old 7th February 2009, 10:30
Alter Hase

Leendert will become famous soon enough

Rod,

See the serials as in my post. They're mentioned with 16 March 1945 on a USAAF loss list.

Regards,

Leendert