Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 18th August 2010, 23:16

nickclark is on a distinguished road
London during of 11th December 1940

I'm researching a raid on London during of 11th December 1940.

I'm particularly interested in the area East of London namely Southend and Westcliff on Sea as I believe bombs were dropped in this area on the return back from hitting London. My only reference is an original document giving details of bomb damage from the Southend museum, Essex.

If anyone has any further information i.e. which group carried out the raid or any other details they could add I would appreciate it.

I have little about the raids during this period but I have reference to one that was possibly carried out on the 9th/10th of December? This is from Goebbels Diaries 1939-1941 translated and edited by Fred Taylor (Hamish Hamilton London 1982 edition)

10 December 1940 (Tuesday)
Yesterday: A glorious day in Berlin. We are two hours late. Very heavy air raid on London. Some 600,000 kilograms. Entire districts of the city engulfed in flames. Only one aircraft lost. A really fine show. London is playing things down, but the American reports are strong and vivid. Nice to hear. The previous day they were talking about a decline in our offensive capability.

11th December 1940 (Wednesday)
Yesterday: Filthy weather. Hardly any daylight. Few incursions into the Reich, and we are unable to do anything at all over England. This is a pity, because we would so much have liked to give London another pasting. The reports that are beginning to pour in about the big raid on London are horrendous. Herr Churchill would not have it otherwise.

Given the diary entries above, perhaps the date I have of a raid (11th December 1940) relates to the early hours shortly after midnight as enemy planes were returning from hitting the city of London but the 10th would seem more likely?

Nick Clark
Old 19th August 2010, 09:26

dp_burke is on a distinguished road
Re: London during of 11th December 1940

You can use Geoff Sullivans CWGC website to serach for Civilian casualties bewteen 10/12/1940-11/12/1940

http://www.hut-six.co.uk/cgi-bin/search39-47.php

There are 230 Civilian deaths on those two dates, and they are registered or listed in the following districts/areas

Birmingham County Borough (CB)
Acton Municiple Borough (MB)
Cheltenham MD
Bexhill MB
Newhaven Urban District (UD)
Greenwich MB
Westminister City
Fareham UD
Wembley MB
St. Marylebone MB
Hornchurch UD

and the list goes on, this is a sample of the first 4 pages of casualties out of 12 from the site. You may find a district where Southend and Westcliff on Sea is located or near.
Old 19th August 2010, 17:17
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

The night of 11-12 Dec 40 saw the main target being Birmingham with London the secondary target (only units noted are I/LG 1, KGr 806, III/KG 55, KG 77 , I & II/KG 26. However,. ac from III/KG 51 and KGr 806 also reported bombing Sheerness
Old 20th August 2010, 01:06

dp_burke and Chris Goss

Thank you for the information you've supplied.

So am I correct in assuming there was indeed a raid on London on the 11-12 Dec 1940 but a limited assult on the city and it's surrounding areas?

The mention of Sheerness is interesting in it's ;ocation at the mouth of the Thames area. Are there any operational records for these units?

Nick
Old 20th August 2010, 07:36
Alter Hase

There was an attack on London and some aircraft dropping their bombs on alternatives hence Sheerness. To find operational records of these units would be like finding the Holy Grail but I do have the unit's analysis (a line or so each) which was passed to Luftflotte 3
Old 20th August 2010, 10:55

Chris I have sent you a personal message.
Old 20th August 2010, 19:26
Alter Hase

Sorry-the attack on Sheerness was 1900 hrs 11-12 Dec 40 by a Ju 88 of KG 1 not 10-11 Dec. I have nothing for 10-11 Dec apart from an attack on London by I/KG 53
Old 22nd August 2010, 11:39

Icare9 is on a distinguished road

Nick, for what it is worth, Geoff's Search Engine produces 65 Civilian War Dead for Southend-on-Sea County Borough. As you probably already know, none of them are in December 1940, so at least the raid was a nuisance raid in disturbing the peace..
I'm sure I don't need to tell you this, either, but newspaper archives in Southend Library may provide some information on any bomb damage.
Old 22nd August 2010, 14:23

Tony Jones

Hi

Please not Sheerness is only 6 miles from Southend-on Sea, just the river Thames estuary in between

Tony
Old 22nd August 2010, 19:18

Icare9

Thanks for the tip about the Southend Library archives I didn't get time to look at the papers on my last visit but I will do next time..

'Geoff's Search Engin'e has proved very useful.

I've been looking at my notes from the bomb damage list (Southend Museum) and it shows that their had been casualties in one location but mostly injuries (4 men and 7 woman). However another area had some 20 houses damaged so I thought something might show up here.

According to the offical bomb list, a total of nine 50kg and three 500kg bombs was dropped on the area of Southend and Westcliff on Sea on 11th Dec 1940

Nick