Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 14th November 2005, 23:43

Christer Bergström is on a distinguished road
Re: Aircraft performance curves

No, Graham, these graphs shouldn't should be completely discarded. As I said, I don't say that aircraft performance curves is totally superfluous, but it requires technical knowledge to be able to use those curves properly, and I find it surprising that no one of those who have such high thoughts about their own technical knowledge have discussed the weaknesses of these ordinary performance curves.

Also, for what do we need to know a Hs 129 ground attack aircraft's different average level flight top speeds at clinic tests at 17,000 ft, 22,000 ft, 24,000 ft, and 28,000 ft respectively?

I am always out looking for good WW II combat aircraft data, and would love to learn e.g. which is the source to the Bf 109 F-2 performance curves which Franek has access to.

Christer Bergström

http://www.bergstrombooks.elknet.pl/
Old 18th November 2005, 19:45

Sorry for "bumping", but maybe Jukka and Franek missed my questions?

For what do we need to know a Hs 129 ground attack aircraft's different average level flight top speeds at clinic tests at 17,000 ft, 22,000 ft, 24,000 ft, and 28,000 ft respectively?

Which is the source to the Bf 109 F-2 performance curves which Franek has access to?

Christer Bergström

Old 18th November 2005, 20:06
Alter Hase

Juha is on a distinguished road

Hello Christer
I'm not Jukka but where he demanded different average level flight top speeds at clinic tests at 17,000 ft, 22,000 ft, 24,000 ft, and 28,000 ft respectively for Hs 129?
I even checked the locked book thread and Jukka never asked that. He missed performance graphs, so why to misrepresent his oppinion. IMO You are playing a cheap trick, in fact stupid old propaganda trick.
Why????????????????

I cannot say that I'm surprised but
Juha
Old 18th November 2005, 20:59
He who rules the forum...

Ruy Horta has disabled reputation

Lets keep on track people.

And now I see with eye serene
The very pulse of the machine;
A being breathing thoughtful breath,
A traveller between life and death;
Old 18th November 2005, 21:41
Alter Hase

Dénes Bernád will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christer Bergström
For what do we need to know a Hs 129 ground attack aircraft's different average level flight top speeds at clinic tests at 17,000 ft, 22,000 ft, 24,000 ft, and 28,000 ft respectively?
A technical description of the Hs 129, based on field tests, gives the max. ceiling at only 4000 m (13000 ft.)!
Old 18th November 2005, 21:42

Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christer Bergström

Which is the source to the Bf 109 F-2 performance curves which Franek has access to?
Probably it's "Kennblatt fur das Flugzeugmufter Bf 109F-1 und F-2 mit DB601N motor", Berlin 1941.
If anybody is interested, I can send these curves via e-mail.
Old 19th November 2005, 17:03

Juha, maybe I misunderstood Jukka. Okay? I was curious just for what we need performance curves for a ground-attack plane like the Hs 129. If you can't explain that, then please allow Jukka to do that.

Gizmo, I'd be grateful if you could send me a scan of those Bf 109 F-1 & F-2 curves in an e-mail.

Quote:
Probably it's "Kennblatt fur das Flugzeugmufter Bf 109F-1 und F-2 mit DB601N motor", Berlin 1941.
I still wonder which source Franek has for his Bf 109 F-2 curves. Yes, maybe his source is the one you mentioned, but I doubt that since he specifically said only the Bf 109 F-2. So if he has another source, it would be interesting to learn which one. Do you have another source, Franek?

(BTW, it's "Flugzeugmuster")

Christer Bergström

Old 19th November 2005, 22:49
Alter Hase

Graham Boak is on a distinguished road

I believe that Jukka is looking for more technical data in aircraft books: to restrict this wish to the simpler performance curves is to misrepresent his argument. There is much more to be said about an aircraft's technical side than just the performance terms.

However: given the level speed it would be possible to calculate the drag co-efficient. From this other performance data can be calculated. For example, payload-range, turn radii and accelerations that would be of interest to almost any combat type. It would be possible make much realistic comparisons than can be found in anecdotes, usually from the winners.