Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 12th April 2005, 14:42

JanZ
RAF losses 5./6. March 1945

Hi friends,
I have ask for you - I need list of losses (+ places) from the RAF Bomber Command Losses book for the Chemnitz raid (Thunderclap) on 5-6 March 1945. I have this list home, but unable to get it now. Any help will be very appreciated.

Thanks, Jan

'There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer.' - James Doolittle

www.museum119.cz
www.facebook.com/museum119
Old 12th April 2005, 15:18

Peter Kassak is on a distinguished road
Re: RAF losses 5./6. March 1945

HI HOnzo,

This is quite good site to get particular info:
http://www.bomber-command.info/HaliRaidLoss.htm
http://www.bomber-command.info/LancRaidLoss.htm

It sys that 5/6 3.1945 were losses as follows:
Halifaxes: Chemnitz LL559 LV996 LW210 MZ454 MZ738 MZ845 MZ905 MZ914 MZ948 NA173 NA184 NA190 NA204 NP793 NP799 NP959 NR120 NR131 NR144 NR226 PN173 PN228 RG475 RG502
Lancasters:Chemnitz KB778 KB842 KB845 KB858 ME320 ME333 ME392 NG240 NG458 PB475 PB557 PB563 PB872 PB921 PD375 PD403
Lancasters: Bohlen LM654 ME386 NF918 NG230 NG401 NG410 PB644

home: http://www.bomber-command.info/sitemapaircraft.htm

If you follow the squadron losses, you can find info on planes mentioned above by codes...
Good luck

also: Zerstorer Research Work Group,
"Geschichte des Zerstörergeschwader 76"
Old 12th April 2005, 16:37

JanZ

Hi bioterrorist, thanks... do you know where to find possible places, as are mentioned in the black book of RAF losses?
Your text for 17.12. and 29.8. is already translated to Czech. The Slovakia will be not translated. Great research!
Best regards, Jan

www.museum119.cz
Old 12th April 2005, 16:46

Peter Kassak is on a distinguished road

Thanks, hope to see some excerpts soon as well for 2.3.1945

And I am sorry no more specific locations for these RAF BC losses. I ususally also use BC losses diary but am away of my archive as U know...Those links were just to help a bit to be oriented in numbers

Greetings

also: Zerstorer Research Work Group,
"Geschichte des Zerstörergeschwader 76"
Old 12th April 2005, 22:52

Dennis Peschier is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: RAF losses 5./6. March 1945

Hello Jan

I looked it up in W.R.Chorleys book. I left out the ones that crashed in Britain or liberated europe.

MZ948 unknown

NR131 Muhlhausen

ME333 missing

RG502 Volyne, 6km SSW of Strakonice

ME392 unknown

PB563 unknown

PB872 Czechoslovakia

ME320 unknown

MZ738 France

NA204 unknown

NG458 unknown

PN173 unknown

NP799 unknown

KB858 Oberweldbach )15km ENE of Herbon)

PB557 Pfieffe, 5km ESE of Spangenberg

PD403 believed crashed in the targer area

NG240 believed to have crashed on the island of Rugen

PD375 unknown

PB921 unknown

Hope this helps

Cheers,
Dennis
Old 15th April 2005, 22:56

JanZ

Dennis,

great to hear from you!
Many thanks for rewriting me the places.
There is one correction, you may note it into book - the Lancaster lost near of Volyne, Czechoslovakia, is not in Strakonice region as written, but another Volyne - in Ore Mountains, North Bohemia.
Thanks again and bye,
Jan

www.museum119.cz
Old 15th April 2005, 23:00

JanZ

Dennis, one more note, I made a mistake, in Volyne it was not Lancaster, but Halifax (DY-Q of F/O Hurley from 102. Sq).
Jan

www.museum119.cz
Old 22nd April 2005, 02:58

RodM is on a distinguished road

Hi,

attached is a list of losses for the night of the 5th/6th March 1945. The data, primarily based on the Chorley listing has been supplimented from a number of other sources. I haven't inserted the sqdn codes yet.

Of course, if anyone has any information that can amplify the listing, I would be interested to hear...

Cheers

RodM
Old 19th January 2007, 04:03

RossGmann is on a distinguished road

Re your inquiry of 12th April 2005 I know this inquiry is getting a bit old and you may already have the following if so here it is again

MZ948 ZA-E 10 SQUADRON
Airborne 1708 5Mar45 from Melbourne. Cause of loss and crash-site not established. Those killed are buried in the D_rnbach War Cemetery. F/S Fearnly who was manning the mid-under gun turret, was 39 years old, well above the average age for operational aircrew. His Service Number and that of F/S Hodgson suggest both had joined the RAF on the same day between April and October 1941. This Chemnitz raid was part of Operation Thunderclap. F/L F.D.Moss Evd Sgt H.W.Tasker KIA F/S R.E.Davenport KIA WO2 L.W.Webster RCAF KIA F/S R.C.Fowler Inj Sgt L.L.Hall RAAF KIA F/S F.Fearnley KIA F/S S.Hodgson PoW F/S R.C.Fowler was confined in Hospital due injuries until Liberation. No PoW No. Returned to England 11May45. F/S S.Hodgson also confined in Hospital due injuries. Returned UK 13May45. F/L F.D.Moss, although arrested avoided captivity and made the American Lines. "

NR131 Muhlhausen ZA-N 10 SQUADRON

Airborne 1657 5Mar45 from Melbourne. Cause of loss not established. Crashed near Stalag 1XC at M_lhausen, all the bodies were recovered from the wreckage by PoWs. Two weeks later, on 20Mar45, despite an order from the Germans forbidding a burial service, funeral proceedings were conducted by the Senior Chaplain, Revd. J.R.Bamber MA. Since 1945, they have been re-interred in the Berlin 1939-45 War Cemetery. F/O Heap, a Regular airman, had gained his DFM on a previous tour with the Sqdn, promulgated 13Jul43. F/S Rees had joined the RAF as an apprentice clerk in the late 1920's This Chemnitz raid was part of Operation Thunderclap. F/L A.D.Stephen KIA Sgt T.T.Elliott KIA F/S K.V.Rees KIA F/S B.Robson KIA F/O H.C.Maria RNZAF KIA P/O C.J.Roberts RCAF KIA F/O R.E.Heap DFM KIA "

ME333 missing TL-S 35 SQUADRON

ME333 took part in the following Key Operations: Cologne 23Dec44- Daylight; Cologne 24/25Dec44; Bonn 4/5Feb45; Duisburg21/22Feb45. Airborne 1728 5Mar45 from Gravely. Lost without trace. All are commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial. The DFM recipients, in order of crew, had their awards Gazetted 27Mar45; 19Oct43 and 13Jun44 respectively. W/O Holland had flown a tour with 51 Sqdn, but W/O Roe was a long serving member of 35 Sqdn. F/O Pentelow had wed Emma Caroline Pentelow of Calgary, Alberta. S/L F.Watson DFC KIA F/S G.Cross DFM KIA F/L K.S.Smith KIA F/S S.O.Scott KIA W/O L.G.Holland DFM KIA F/O P.J.Pentelow RNZAF KIA W/O V.A.Roe CGM DFM KIA "

RG502 Volyne, 6km SSW of Strakonice DY-Q 102 SQUADRON

Airborne 1733 5Mar45 from Pocklington. Cause of loss not established. Crashed near Volyne on the Volynka, apx. 6 km SSW of Strakonice in Czechoslavakia. Those killed are buried in Praha War Cemetery. This Chemnitz raid was part of Operation Thunderclap. RG502 was the first Halifax Mk.V1 lost on a Bomber Command operation, and for No.102 Sqdn it was their third 'Q' for Queenie to be lost in succession. F/O J.A.Hurley KIA Sgt A.J.E.Morton Inj F/S H.H.Briggs KIA F/O A.V.Valentine Inj Sgt J.T.Smith KIA Sgt T.Cooney KIA Sgt K.E.White Inj F/O A.V.Valentine, Sgt K.E.White and Sgt A.J.E.Morton were confined in Hospital due injuries. No PoW Nos. UK 12May45. "

ME392 unknown PM-Y 103 SQUADRON

ME392 was one of two No.103 Sqdn Lancasters lost on this operation. See: PB563 Airborne 1651 5Mar45 from Elsham Wolds. Cause of loss and crash- site not established. The two officers killed are commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial. It is confirmed that F/O Griffin had made a successful exit from the Lancaster. F/O G.W.Exel RCAF KIA Sgt G.H.Wilson Inj F/O J.H.McKenna RCAF Inj F/O M.F.Griffin RCAF KIA F/S F.P.Monaghan Inj F/S J.L.Cooke RCAF Inj W/O D.King Inj F/O J.H.McKenna, F/S J.L.Cooke, F/S F.P.Monaghan, W/O D.King and Sgt G.H.Wilson were confined in Hospital due injuries until Liberation. No PoW Nos. "

PB563 unknown PM-G 103 SQUADRON

PB563 took part in the following Key Operations: Essen 12/13Dec44; Munich 7/8Jan45; Dresden 13/14Feb45; Pforzheim 23/24Feb45; Chemnitz 5/6Mar45-Lost. When lost this aircraft had a total of 122 hours. PB563 was one of two 103 Sqdn Lancasters lost on this operation. See: ME392 Airborne 1716 5Mar45 from Elsham Wolds. All are buried in the Berlin 1939-45 War Cemetery. F/O Elliott had served previously with 207 Sqdn and details of his DFM was Gazetted 20Apr43. F/L M.R.Norem KIA F/O K.Jackson RNZAF KIA F/O G.L.Taylor KIA F/S J.A.Green KIA F/S J.A.Wright KIA F/O F.W.Elliott DFM KIA Sgt R.S.Brown KIA Sgt

PB872 Czechoslovakia P4-X 153 SQUADRON

PB872 was a Mk.1 and was delivered to 153 Sqdn Dec44 No operational history available. Airborne 1640 5Mar45 from Scampton. All are buried in Praha War Cemetery. Their average age was 21. Both Air Gunners were ex-ATC Cadets. F/O W.J.Bailey KIA Sgt J.Howard KIA F/O R.G.D.Adlam RNZAF KIA F/O E.J.S.Morris KIA Sgt J.Dixon KIA Sgt W.B.Meecham KIA Sgt W.Simpson KIA "

ME320 unknown TC-L 170 SQUADRON

ME320 took part in the following Key Operations: As TC-U, Munich 7/8Jan45; as TC-L, Dortmund 20/21Feb45; Chemnitz 5/6Mar45-Lost. No record of total hours. 170 Sqdn was re-formed 15Oct44 at Kelstern. Prior to this, 170 Sqdn had operated as a tactical reconnaisance unit between 15Jun42 and 15Jan44 equipped throughout with P51 Mustangs. Airborne 1700 5Mar45 from Hemswell. w/O McNally is buried in the Berlin 1939-45 War Cemetery, the other crew members are commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial. On Panel 168 is the name of sgt G.H.Wager, brother of Sgt Wager, who died 21May43 while flying Defiants with 515 Sqdn.It is reported that the Defiant was AA658 lost over the English Channel. Both men were aged nineteen when they met their deaths. Sgt Ebbs came from Dublin. F/L E.R.Thornton KIA Sgt J.P.Plant KIA F/O W.e.Weber RCAF KIA F/O W.a.Brydon RCAF KIA W/O J.J.McNally RAAF KIA Sgt D.Wager KIA Sgt C.A.Ebbs KIA "

MZ738 France H7-H 346 SQUADRON
Cause of loss and crash-site not established. It is presumed their graves are now in France. This raid was part of Operation Thunderclap. Slt A.Fonteix FFAF KIA Sgt J.Leroy FFAF KIA Ltn J.Rouvel FFAF KIA Sgc M.Schilling FFAF KIA Sgt B.Houdelot FFAF KIA Sgt J.Gorias FFAF KIA Sgt R.Farnier FFAF KIA

NA204 unknown 6U-J 415 SQUADRON

Airborne 1645 5Mar45 from East Moor. Cause of loss and crash-site not established. The majority of this crew had arrived at East Moor 18Oct44, on posting from 61 (RCAF) Base. This raid was part of Operation Thunderclap. F/L W.R.Mitchell RCAF Inj F/O R.C.Barteaux RCAF Inj F/S A.E.Ridley Inj F/O R.D.Loveridge RCAF Inj P/O F.T.Mudry RCAF Inj P/O W.D.Mosey RCAF Inj F/S W.B.Gill RCAF Inj P/O J.R.Gendron RCAF Inj F/O R.C.Barteaux, P/O J.R.Gendron, F/O R.D.Loveridge, P/O W.D.Mosey, F/L W.R.Mitchell, P/O F.T.Mudry, F/S A.E.Ridley and F/S W.B.Gill were confined to Hospital due injuries until Liberation. No PoW Nos. "

NG458 unknown QB-K 424 SQUADRON

Airborne 1645 5Mar45 from East Moor. Cause of loss and crash-site not established. The majority of this crew had arrived at East Moor 18Oct44, on posting from 61 (RCAF) Base. This raid was part of Operation Thunderclap. F/L W.R.Mitchell RCAF Inj F/O R.C.Barteaux RCAF Inj F/S A.E.Ridley Inj F/O R.D.Loveridge RCAF Inj P/O F.T.Mudry RCAF Inj P/O W.D.Mosey RCAF Inj F/S W.B.Gill RCAF Inj P/O J.R.Gendron RCAF Inj F/O R.C.Barteaux, P/O J.R.Gendron, F/O R.D.Loveridge, P/O W.D.Mosey, F/L W.R.Mitchell, P/O F.T.Mudry, F/S A.E.Ridley and F/S W.B.Gill were confined to Hospital due injuries until Liberation. No PoW Nos. "

PN173 unknown KW-Q 425 SQUADRON

Cause of loss and crash-site not established. Those killed are buried in the Berlin 1939-45 War Cemetery This Chemnitz raid was part of Operation Thunderclap. F/O J.J.A.L.Desbiens RCAF KIA Sgt A.E.Minquet RCAF KIA F/S G.E.J.Tremblay RCAF Inj F/O J.A.Parent RCAF Inj F/S H.J.M.D'Avril RCAF KIA F/S G.L.J.Langeum RCAF Inj F/S L.P.Lamontagne RCAF Inj F/O J.A.Parent, F/S G.E.J.Tremblay, F/S L.P.Lamontagne and F/S G.L.J.Langeum were confined in Hospital due injuries until Liberation. No PoW Nos. "

NP799 unknown OW-J 426 SQUADRON

Airborne 1645 5Mar45 from Linton-on-Ouse. Shot down by a night- fighter. Crash-site not established. Sgt Giles has no known grave and is commemorated on Panel 275 of the Runnymede Memorial. The six Canadian airman are buried in the Berlin 1939-45 War Cemetery. This Chemnitz raid was part of Operation Thunderclap. F/L J.G.Kirkpatrick RCAF KIA Sgt I.Giles KIA F/O R.E.Fennell RCAF KIA F/O R.E.Stillinger RCAF KIA WO1 J.A.Larson RCAF KIA F/S W.H.Denison RCAF Inj F/S R.B.Gunderson RCAF KIA F/S W.H.Denison was confined in Hospital due injuries until Liberation. No PoW No. "

KB858 Oberweldbach )15km ENE of Herbon)SE-G 431 SQUADRON

Airborne 1635 5Mar45 from Croft. Crashed at Oberweldbach, 15 km ENE of Herbon. all are buried in the Hannover War Cemetery. F/O S.A.Reid RCAF KIA Sgt W.A.Salisbury KIA F/O H.J.Feldhans RCAF KIA F/O H.J.Beaton RCAF KIA WO2 C.B.MacDonald RCAF KIA Sgt H.R.Harris RCAF KIA Sgt H.Guttormson RCAF KIA "

PB557 Pfieffe, 5km ESE of Spangenberg AR-A2 460 SQUADRON

Airborne 1629 5Mar45 from Binbrook. Outboumd, hit by Flak and crashed at Pfieffe, 5 km ESE of spangenberg. all are buried in Hannover, brought here from graves found at melsungen. F/L Holmes had flown 40 sorties, while F/L Morgan was on his second tour with the Sqdn. Details of his DFM had been Gazetted 7Dec43. F/L Hayward came from Bonavista in Newfoundlans, though he had enlisted in the UK sometime after Nov41. W/O Mayne came from Aberdare in Glamorgan. F/L J.C.Holmes DFC RAAF KIA F/S T.T.Clarke RAAF (P2) KIA Sgt J.Young KIA F/O D.G.Hudspeth RAAF KIA F/S R.E.Hayward KIA F/O I.S.Baudinette RAAF KIA F/L T.E.V.Morgan DFM RAAF KIA W/O E.O.T.Mayne RAAF KIA "

PD403 believed crashed in the targer area UL-F2 576 SQUADRON

Airborne 1655 5Mar45 from Fiskerton. Believed to have crashed in the target area, as F/O Rouse is reported to have been buried in the Reichenhainer Strasse Friedhof. His grave, however, was never found and along with five other members of his crew, he is commemortated on the Runnymede Memorial. F/S Hadlow is buried in the Berlin 1939-45 War Cemetery. F/O C.J.Rouse RCAF KIA Sgt R.H.Twin KIA Sgt J.T.J.Magee RCAF KIA F/S K.R.Marston KIA F/S D.H.Hadlow KIA F/S W.W.Dewar RCAF KIA Sgt R.w.Abrams RCAF KIA "

NG240 believed to have crashed on the island of Rugen CF-F2 625 SQUADRON

Airborne 1639 5Mar45 from Kelstern. Believed to have crashed on the Island of R_gen at Presnitz, 11 km NW of Bergen. Sgt Williams escaped while being marched towards Moosburg and made tracks for the Allied lines near Nuremburg. He arrived home 22Apr45, three weeks ahead of the rest of the crew. F/O J.W.Alexander RCAF Inj Sgt O.C.Lear Inj F/O W.Petrashenko RCAF PoW also spelled Petrachenko F/O F.R.Chapman RCAF PoW F/S C.W.Morgan Inj Sgt R.Pyett PoW Sgt J.V.Williams PoW F/O J.W.Alexander, F/S C.W.Morgan and Sgt O.C.Lear were confined Hospital due injuries. No PoW Nos. Arrived back in England 10May45. F/O F.R.Chapman and F/O W.Petrashenko wer interned in Camp 13D. No PoW Nos. Sgt R.Pyett in Camps L3D/7A. No PoW No. He reports that he never knew his PoW No. !!. "

PD375 unknown CF-R 625 SQUADRON

Airborne 1636 5Mar45 from Kelstern. Cause of loss and crash-site not established. Both Air Gunners are buried in the Berlin 1939-45 War Cemetery. It is reported that Sgt Allen was seriously wounded. F/L A.D.Cook Inj Sgt S.L.Lowe PoW Sgt T.H.Scowcroft RCAF Inj F/S F.W.Brooks Inj Sgt W.Allen Inj Sgt C.H.Bartlett KIA Sgt J.H.Porter KIA F/L A.D.Cook, Sgt W.Allen, Sgt S.L.Lowe and Sgt T.H.Scowcroft were confined in Hospital due injuries until Liberation. No PoW Nos.issued, together with F/S F.W.Brooks who returned to England 3Apr45. No PoW No. "

PB921 unknown F2-N 635 SQUADRON

Airborne 1721 5Mar45 from Downham Market. Those killed are commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial. The three awarded the DFM were Gazetted 12Feb46, 16Jan45 and 13Apr45 respectively. F/S Hatton gained his award while serving with No.51 Sqdn. F/L Venning, a Navigator, flying on this occasion as an Air Bomber, had been a scholar at Magdalen College, Oxford, gaining a BA Degree. F/L K.A.Beattie RNZAF Inj F/S G.Williams DFM KIA F/L K.Usher DFC KIA F/L D.L.Venning DFC KIA F/O R.S.Goddard RCAF KIA F/s G.W.Hatton DFM KIA F/S D.D.Adam DFM KIA F/L K.A.Beattie was confined in Hospital Nk due to his injuries until Liberation and returned to England 26May45 "

LL559 LK-U 578 SQUADRON

Airborne 1709 5Mar45 from Burn. Bombed the AP at 2156 from 16,000 feet. Low on fuel, diverted to, and landed at RAF Bovingdon, Hertfordshire. Swung on touch-down and ran into another Squadron Halifax NA173) that had arrived twenty-six minutes earlier and was now parked just off the runway. Both machines were wrecked but no one was injured. F/O E.Dawson Sgt H.A.Naris F/S R.J.B.capon F/S W.F.Willcox P/O E.A.Calcutt Sgt J.G.Marshall Sgt N.H.Sellers. This crew did not operate again with 578 Sqdn following this incident. Posted to 51 Sqdn Snaith 15Mar45. "

NA173 LK-K 578 SQUADRON
Airborne 1657 5Mar45 from Burn. Bombed the AP at 2146 from 16,500 feet. Landed, low on fuel, 0139 at RAF Bovingdon; Hertfordshire and was marshalled to a parking place just off the runway. Here it was struck and damaged beyond repair by another Squadron Halifax. (See:LL599 for the circumstances). This Chemnitz raid was part of Operation Thunderclap. F/O J.W.Howard RCAF Sgt J.Watts F/O C.F.Wilschke RCAF F/O F.E.Smith RCAF W/O A.L.Francis RAAF F/S H.R.McNeal RCAF F/S H.F.Jepson RCAF This crew, unlike that of LL559, continues with 578 Sqdn, flying on operations to Essen 22Mar45 and participating in the raid against Wuppertal13Mar45. "

LV996 ZL-E 427 SQUADRON
Airborne 1652 5Mar45 from Leeming. Homebound, crashed at Halling some 4 miles SW of Gillingham. Kent, after running out of fuel. All were buried in Brookwood Military Cemetery. This Chemnitz raid was part of Operation Thunderclap. F/L M.W.Sanderson RCAF KIA P/O W.R.Strand RCAF KIA P/O J.P.Nault RCAF KIA P/O H.N.Prince KIA P/O A.S.Leroux RCAF KIA F/S A.G.Caldwell RCAF KIA F/S P.F.Gonroski RCAF KIA "

LW210 OW-Y 426 SQUADRON
Airborne 1639 5Mar45 from Linton-on-Ouse and very soon encountered the very severe icing conditions that had affected other aircraft. At about 1700 LW210 broke up in flight, scattering wreckage onto Nunthorpe avenue, York. In addition to the six crew members killed, five civilians were also killed and a further eighteen injured, mostly when an engine sliced through the roof of a local secondary school and demolished the kitchen area. Sgt Symes was taken home for burial; his five Canadian comrades were buried in the Harrogate (Stonefall) Cemetery. F/S Low later married the nurse who tended to him as he recovered in Hospital. This Chemnitz raid was part of Operation Thunderclap. F/L I.Emerson RCAF KIA Sgt W.T.Symes KIA F/O A.M.Hutchison RCAD KIA F/O T.M.Campbell RCAF KIA F/S J.Low RCAF Inj F/S J.N.MacDougall RCAF KIA Sgt R.H.Turner RCAF F/S Low has also been referred to as P/O. "

NP-793 OW-H 426 SQUADRON
Airborne 1642 5Mar45 from Linton-on-Ouse. Almost immediately affected by the severe icing that had affected other aircraft. Crashed about 1700 at Westfield Farm, Kirbymoorside, 6 miles WNW from Pickering on the road to Sowerby, Yorkshire. The six Canadian airmen are buried in the Harrogate (Stonefall) Cemetery, F/S Biggerstaff being just eighteen years old. P/O Togwell was taken home to be buried at Derby (Nottingham Road) Cemetery. This Chemnitz raid was part of Operation Thunderclap. F/O H.S.Watts RCAF KIA P/O W.A.Togwell KIA F/O F.M.Myers RCAF KIA F/S W.A.way RCAF KIA WO1 B.J.Mccarthy RCAF KIA F/S M.W.Coones RCAF KIA F/S R.A.Biggerstaff RCAF KIA "

PN228 OW-A 426 SQUADRON
Airborne 1648 from Linton-on-Ouse. Collided with a 425 Sqdn Halifax (MZ845) climbing out of Tholthorpe on the same operation. Both Halifaxes crashed some 300 yards W of Manor House, just S of RAF Linton-on-Ouse, though much of the wreckage from PN228 was found at Poolspring near Nun Monkton, 8 miles from the centre of York. All six Canadians were buried in the Harrogate (Stonefall) Cemetery; Sgt Jerome was taken home for burial. This Chemnitz raid was part of Operation Thunderclap. S/L E.T.Garrett RCAF KIA Sgt E.S.Jerome KIA F/O J.L.Atkinson RCA KIA F/O K.G.Parker RCAF KIA WO2 W.G.Miller RCAF KIA WO2 J.B.Linstead RCAF KIA WO2 H.D.McLeod RCAF KIA

MZ454 KW-S 425 SQUADRON
Airborne 1640 5Mar45 from Tholthorpe but iced up in a very short time and partially abandoned before crashing 1702 some 200 yards from Little Ouseburn, 9 miles NW from Harrogate and badly damaging the church and Moat Hall. The four airmen killed are buried in Harrogate (Stonefall) Cemetery. Since 1945 F/O Lowe who was an American serving in the RCAF has been taken home and is now buried in Fairview Cemetery, Red Bank, New Jersey. At 35, P/O Hyde was well above the average age of operational aircrew. In 1995. a Memorial Porch was erected at Little Ouseburn Church, thus perpetuating the memories of those killed fifty years previously. This Chemnitz raid was part of Operation Thunderclap. F/O A.R.Lowe RCAF KIA Sgt J.L.Lynch RCAF KIA F/O E.S.Brabbins RCAF F/O J.F.brownell RCAF F/S K.J.S.McCuaig RCAF F/O P.J.Hall RCAF KIA P/O J.W.Hyde RCAF KIA "

MZ845 KW-J 425 SQUADRON
Airborne 1647 5Mar45 from Tholthorpe. At 1658 was involved in a mid- air collision with a 426 Sqdn (PN228) climbing out of Linton-on- Ouse on the same operation.. Both Halifaxes crashed some 300 yards W of Manor House and just S of Linton-on-Ouse airfield and on the S side of the Ouse. In the last fateful moments, F/S De Cruyenaere managed to bale out. His six comrades are buried in the Harrogate (Stonefall) Cemetery. This Chemnitz raid was part of Operation Thunderclap. P/O M.S.H.Anderson RCAF KIA P/O J.D.F.E.Roy RCAF KIA P/O J.E.R.Beaudry RCAF KIA F/O R.E.O.Charron RCAF KIA F/S A.J.de Cruyenaere RCAF F/S J.L.P.Seguin RCAF KIA P/O J.L.G.Pelletier RCAF KIA "

MZ905 MP-H 76 SQUADRON
While taxying towards the duty runway, F/L Perry was obliged to stop in order to allow another aircraft to pass ahead. Upon moving off at 1710, MZ905 was struck by F/L G.E.Peterson at the controls of NA219 MP-D. The latter sustained relatively minor damage, but MZ905 was deemed to be beyond economical repair and was SOC. No injuries reported. F/L H.v.Perry No other crew names appended. "

MZ914 HD-? 466 SQUADRON
Airborne 1654 5Mar45 from Driffield but experienced severe control problems and returned to base, landing at 1905. The following day, the Halifax was declared beyond the capacity for local repairs and the airframe languished at Driffield until 12Apr45 when it was SOC. F/L C.M.Halpin RAAF Sgt W.Watt F/S C.J.McLaughlin RAAF F/S F.Noble RAAF W/O C.C.Brooks RAAF F/S H.C.Brookershire RAAF F/S C.W.Nagle RAAF "

NA184 PT-W 420 SQUADRON

Airborne 1628 5Mar45 from Tholthorpe but iced up and crashed at Marrow Flat Farm, just over a mile NE of RAF Dishforth. The three RCAF airmen were taken to the Harrogate (Stonefall) Cemetery. Sgt Kirby was taken home for burial. This raid was part of Operation Thunderclap F/O E.W.Clark RCAF KIA Sgt J.B.Kirby KIA F/O D.V.Freed RCAF Inj F/O W.H.Oakes RCAF KIA F/S R.J.Arnold RCAF Inj WO1 H.M.O'Connor RCAF Inj F/S J.A.Epoch RCAF KIA "

NP959 PT-N 420 SQUADRON
Airborne 1630 5Mar45 from Tholthorpe. Cause of loss and crash-site not established. F/S Kastner is reported to have died from his wounds within hours of being admitted to a German Hospital. It is likely that his grave was located by the US War Graves Unit, as he is now buried in the Choloy War Cemetery, France. This raid was part of Operation Thunderclap. F/L V.R.Glover RCAF Inj F/O D.M.Mottrick RCAF (P2) Inj Sgt H.W.Skipper Inj P/O J.R.Gordon RCAF Inj F/O V.L.McKinnon RCAF Inj WO2 D.F.Broadfoot RCAF Inj F/S J.J.M.Kastner RCAF Inj see above. F/S H.E.McKenzie RCAF Inj F/O D.M.Mottrick, P/O J.R.Gordon, WO2 D.F.Broadfoot, F/L V.R.Glover F/S H.E.McKenzie, Sgt H.W.Skipper and F/O V.L.McKinnon were confined in Hospital due injuries until Liberation. No PoW Nos. P/O Gordon was repatriated 23Mar45. "

NA190 PT-U 420 SQUADRON
Airborne 1629 5Mar45 from Tholthorpe but iced up and crashed 1720 into Hayton Woods near Hazelwood Castle, 3 miles SW of Tadcaster, Yorkshire. F/S Waugh, who won an immediate DFM for the destruction of an enemy night-fighter over Oberhausen the previous November, baled out safely. His comrades were buried in the Harrogate (Stonefall) Cemetery. Sgt Dinnen came from Ballyjamesduff, Co.Cavan, Republic of Ireland. This raid was part of Operation Thunderclap. P/O R.F.Sollie RCAF KIA Sgt R.L.Dinnen KIA F/S W.Gaba RCAF KIA P/O E.S.Kaechele RCAF KIA F/O R.G.Smith RCAF KIA F/S J.H.Waugh DFM RCAF Sgt R.O.Battler RCAF KIA "

NR144 PT-H 420 SQUADRON
Airborne 1623 5Mar45 from Tholthorpe. Bombed the AP from 16,000 feet at 2145. Homebound, running low on fuel the captain decided to divert to Juvincourt. At apx. 0130 the Halifax emerged from low cloud and while flying through thin patches of mist, clipped a pole standing on high ground. seconds later the Halifax crash-landed on soft earth some 8 km N of the airfield at Juvincourt. F/S Nicol sustained a bruised right leg, and F/S McClellan emerged from his turret with a cut forehead; the rest escaped with a bad shaking. This raid was part of Operation Thundercalp. P/O J.H.Menary RCAF Sgt J.G.Johnston RCAF F/S A.A.Rich RCAF F/S R.A.Nicol RCAF Inj F/S R.M.Stirling RCAF F/S D.H.Goodwin RCAF f/S D.McClellan RCAF Inj "

NR120 C8-M 640 SQUADRON
Airborne 1655 5Mar45 from Leconfield. Bombed the AP at 2156 from 17,000 feet but ran low on fuel while homebound. Uncertain of their position, the crew baled out, all landing without injury, in France. F/O H.M.Sells Sgt J.Boyd W/O R.Lees W/O J.Brett F/O E.H.Melvin Sgt A.C.Nicol F/S M

NR226 L8-P 347 SQUADRON
Airborne 1704 5Mar45 from Elvington. Crash-landed 0109 on return to RAF Friston, Sussex due to battle-damage. No injuries. This raid was part of Operation Thunderclap. Ltn J.J.Santi FFAF Sgt B.Maincuerix FFAF Cdt M.Moirot FFAF Ltn R.Barrois FFAF Sgt G.Cadeau FFAF Sgt J.Descousis FFAF Sgt R.Burel FFAF "

RG475 QO-L 432 SQUADRON
Airborne 1630 5Mar45 from East Moor. Shot down by 'friendly' Flak from a coastal battery near Walton-on-the-Naze, Essex. Thus, P/O Cooke died just 30 miles from his home at Leigh-on-Sea. With six other members of his crew, he is buried in Brookwood Military Cemetery. F/L Clothier RCAF, was claimed by relatives as his grave is in Monmouthshire at Rockfield (St.Cenhedlon) Churchyard, Llangattock. He was was beginning his third tour of operations having re-mustered as a pilot from the trade of Air Gunner. He remained undecorated; both air Gunners were nineteen years of age. This Chemnitz raid was part of Operation Thunderclap. S/L E.A.Hayes RCAF KIA F/L J.G.Clothier (P2) RCAF KIA P/O D.E.Cooke KIA F/O C.M.Hay DSO RCAF KIA P/O D.J.Ringrose RCAF KIA F/L G.R.Harris MiD RCAF KIA f/S M.B.Nielsen RCAF KIA F/S G.M.Orser RCAF KIA "

KB778 NA-Y 428 SQUADRON
Airborne 1644 5Mar45 from Middleton st.george. Bombed the AP from 16,000 feet at 2154, but on the return across Belgium encountered heavy icing and crashed into woods at an area known as Baraque de Fraiture (Luxembourg) and some 14 km NE of lar-Roche-en-Ardenne. Those killed are now buried in Hotton War Cemetery. F/O Mytruk was taken to a Hospital at Malmedy. F/O W.Mytruk RCAF Inj Sgt C.R.Hazelby KIA F/O W.R.Ashdown RCAF KIA F/O D.A.Wade RCAF KIA P/O E.J.Snell RCAF F/S T.J.Chevrier RCAF F/S E.L.Scholfield RCAF "

KB842 WL-L 432 SQUADRON
Airborne 1635 5Mar45 from Croft. Bombed from 16,500 feet at 2154 and was almost immediately involved in a mid-air collision with a Halifax that was in the process of being shot down by a Ju88. The night-fighter crew then turned their attention to the lancaster, causing much damage to the hydraulic system and starboard wing. Accurate return fire, howevedr, succeeded in driving away the enemy fighter, possibly damaged, and P/O Kitchen succeeded in getting his badly mauled aircraft back to Carnaby in Yorkshire where it was written off in the ensuing emergency landing. No injuries. P/O J.Kitchen RCAF. As usual with Canadian Record-keeping. No surviving crew names, with the exception of the Captain,were recorded. "

KB845 VR-L 419 SQUADRON
Incomplete operational history. However, it is recorded that KB845 took part in the following operations: Merseburg 14/15Jan45; Wiesbaden 2/3Feb45; Hemmingstedt 20/21Feb45; Chemnitz 5/6mar45- crashed at Drayton Parsloe, Bedfordshire on return. 30Nov98 "

PB475 60-C 582 SQUADRON
"Serial Range PA964 - PD196 This aircraft was one of 800 Lancasters ordered from A.V.Roe (Chadderton) Apr43 of which 756 were Airborne 1733 5Mar45 from Little Staughton. Homebound, when a Target Indicator (TI) that had failed to release exploded, sending the Lancaster into the ground at 0100 6Mar45 near Bellingdon, 2 miles NW from Chesham, Bucks. Those killed are buried in Oxford (Botley) Cemetery at North Hinksey. Sgt hart was blown clear and managed to parachute to safety. F/O J.C.Gould KIA Sgt A.Denbigh KIA F/S R.F.Barnett RAAF KIA W/O G.Torr RAAF KIA W/O E.W.Hemsworth RAAF KIA Sgt G.J.P.Ralph KIA Sgt G.Hart "

kind regards

Ross
Old 23rd January 2007, 15:02

JanZ

Dear Ross,

thank you so much!!! I very appreciate the information you kindy supplied.
This is a lot of information. Please note my former notice on this discussion, that the ID of place of crash of the DY-Q was not Volyne near of Strakonice, but Volyne in North-West Bohemia, close to Chomutov.

Best regards, Jan

www.museum119.cz