Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 5th March 2008, 11:24

cheesey
Luftwaffe loss

Hello all, can anyone help with the following please?

On the 8th of June, 1944 B-24J 42-109830 'Daisy Mae Scraggs' was shot down by 109s just off the coast of the Cherbourg Peninsula near Granville. The aircraft exploded in the air and the remains came down on and around the Isle de Chausey.
5 men survived to become POWs and 5 were KIA. During the combat (as recorded in the MACR) the engineer/top-turret gunner, T/Sgt. Leedy claimed to have destroyed a 109 that blew up in the air. This was confirmed at the time by S/Sgt. Nace the right waist gunner. Both crew died in the action!
There is a claim for a B-24:Fw.Schuster of 4.(F)/123 (Eins) 05 Ost S/00/5 600m 8.00. This seems to match.
Does anyone have info on the identity of the destroyed Luftwaffe aircraft/pilot/unit if any at all?
Steve.
Old 5th March 2008, 13:58
Alter Hase

Melvin Brownless is on a distinguished road
Re: Luftwaffe loss

Hi Steve, In my files I also have Schuster claiming this particular B-24 but the 4./(F)123 did not have any losses on this day, their next loss occured on the 20.06.44. I do have an original photo of Schuster standing beside a Me 109 in my collection and would be willing to send you a scanned copy? In turn I would be grateful for a copy of the MACR report for my files. Other Me 109 losses I have for this day are:

Me 109G-6 Wnr.163661 Fw Gerhard Sonntag 12/JG27 KIA on 08.06.44 cause unknown at Millevillers

Me 109G-6/AS Wnr.440928 White 17 + Ofw Martin Peschel 4/JG11 MIA on 08.06.44 cause unknown.

Me 109G-5 Wnr.110037 Yellow 13 + Lt Hans-Georg Schmeling 6/JG53 KIA 08.06.44 in Luftkampf west of Malestroit.

Hope this helps you a little.

Regards

Melvin
Old 5th March 2008, 14:46

cheesey

Thanks Melvin.

If you can pm me your e-mail address I will send you the MACR as a zip file.It would be great to get a photo of Schuster, thanks.
May be just an exagerated claim in the heat of battle?

Steve.
Old 5th March 2008, 14:57

brianx13 is on a distinguished road

In my research of the B-17 42-30031 there are claims that it shot down (2) 109's confirmed by crewmen, townsfolk and French underground. But I have yet to find Luftwaffe loss records that match. Personally I do not believe that gunners of bombers would make claims they did not have because they did not receive credit for them like fighter pilots did. I have heard stories of records being altered (on both sides) for morale efforts to the press. I still do not understand how anyone knew what was actually happening if there was not a real set of records kept for themselves.
Old 6th March 2008, 09:50

hanshauprich is on a distinguished road

Feldwebel (later Oberfedlwebel) Hans Schuster, was shoot down on 24. Dezember 1944 over Trier near the Border to Luxembourg. He bailed out and become PoW. I have an "Heimkehrermeldung" from him and in the late 50 he goes to Australia. I also have a lot of photos from him and other Flugzeugführer from NAGr. 1 (former F. 123 Eins.)
Old 6th March 2008, 10:45

Andy Fletcher

I have a number of queries relating to an Uffz/Fw Schuster who flew with various recce units and was wandering if it is the same individual.

An Uffz Hans Schuster 1.(F)/123 was WIFA 27Sep42 (flying Bf 109F-4 (8790)) is this the same individual as later flew with 4.(F)/123 and if so when did he transfer from 1.(F)/123 to 4.(F)/123.

A Fw Schuster was serving with Aufkl.Sta. Kaatsch as of 22Aug44. Was this Fw Hans Schuster of 4.(F)/123

Also a Fw Hans Schuster from an unspecified Aufklaerungs unit was awarded the DKiG sometime around 01Jan45 is this also the same individual. It seems highly probable.

Best Regards

Andy Fletcher
Old 6th March 2008, 11:19

hanshauprich is on a distinguished road

Uffz, Fw. & Ofw. Hans Schuster are the same person. He was with F 123 in France and in Gemany from September 1944 onwards, when F 123 return to the Reich (Flugplätze Trier-Euren, Niedermendig). (I have no information about Aukl.St. Kaatsch at this time) Ofw Schuster was holder of DKiG, I have photos show him with this Medal in Niedermendig in September 1944. He got the award for more then 100 "erfolgreiche Bild-Flüge" and at least a minimum of 5 confirmed kills. In the late eighties I got contact with his former Staffelkapitän OLtn. Kohla, who later served again in the Bundesluftwaffe.
Old 6th March 2008, 12:05

Andy Fletcher

Hi Hans,

Many thanks for the reply, it helps sort things out for me.

Interestingly you mention Oblt Kohla, I also have an individual by that name with Aufkl.Sta. Kaatsch as of 22Aug44.

The info I got on Aufkl.Sta. Kaatsch came from Nick Beale's excellent Ghost Bombers site

http://www.ghostbombers.com/recon/kaatsch1.html

On re-reading the info on Aufkl.Sta. Kaatsch it notes that "Kohla has frequently signed 4.(F)/123" so it would appear there is a definite link between 4.(F)/123 and Aufkl.Sta. Kaatsch.

Have you any further details on Kohla's career?

Best Regards

Andy Fletcher
Old 6th March 2008, 22:02
Alter Hase

Melvin Brownless is on a distinguished road

Uffz, Fw. & Ofw. Hans Schuster are the same person. He was with F 123 in France and in Gemany from September 1944 onwards, when F 123 return to the Reich (Flugplätze Trier-Euren, Niedermendig). (I have no information about Aukl.St. Kaatsch at this time) Ofw Schuster was holder of DKiG, I have photos show him with this Medal in Niedermendig in September 1944. He got the award for more then 100 "erfolgreiche Bild-Flüge" and at least a minimum of 5 confirmed kills. In the late eighties I got contact with his former Staffelkapitän OLtn. Kohla, who later served again in the Bundesluftwaffe.

Hello Hans Hauprich,

In 1996 I was involved in recovering the Messerschmitt G-5 4./(F)123 piloted by Uffz Herbert Blochberger. Uffz Blochberger was flying as wing man for Oblt Kohla when shot down on the 24.06.44 and became a MIA statistic. I would like to make contact with Herr Kohla if he is still around. I am sure that he would like to know that his Kamerad Uffz Blochberger was found and recovered during 1996 and now lies peacefully in a German Military Cemetery in France.

Kind regards

Melvin
Old 7th March 2008, 15:51
Alter Hase

RT is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Hans,

Any chance to hv a bit more data on the plane flown by Schuster on 24.
december ??

Remi