Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East

Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East Please use this forum to discuss the Air War in the Far East.

Old 30th August 2022, 18:56

MikeFink is on a distinguished road
Inquiry Concerning Japanese Naval Air Group 221 and the Formosa Air Battle

Are there any detailed records concerning the Air Groups/Hikotai moved between Japan and Taiwan between 10–12 October 1944? I know that Admiral Fukudome indicated that only 100 or so fighters were successfully relocated before the carrier strikes of 12 October but I am not sure what units those constituted.

I know that Hikotai 312 of Air Group 221 participated in air defense over Taiwan on 12 October and lost 15 planes, but I am not sure whether they were based on Taiwan itself (having previously done stints out of Shinchiku circa August 1944) or were still based out of Kasanbara, Kyushu, having flown in that morning.

I am also interested to know whether Warrant Officer Ito Junjiro was specifically assigned to Hikotai 312. I know he was part of the larger Air Group 221, and was lost on 12 October 1944. But I am not sure to which subordinate unit he was assigned based on available records.

Thank you!
Misc. newspaper clippings