Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 10th February 2016, 20:54
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough
Nachtjagd, Defenders of the Reich 1940 - 1943

http://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/Nacht...rdback/p/11633

Usual disclaimer,
Ed
Old 18th February 2016, 08:53
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Re: Nachtjagd, Defenders of the Reich 1940 - 1943

Mindful of Theo Boitens work, I puzzle as to what else a book like this could add especially as there are few night fighter aircrew left?
Old 18th February 2016, 13:24

Lagarto

Another dreadful cover
Old 19th February 2016, 17:34
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

Hi Chris,

I recall, long ago, getting a book with a damaged back cover. A neighbor knew about my interest in German airplanes and had passed it on to my mother who gave it to me. I remember being astonished to see a photo of an Me-163 for the first time. I had no idea.

So, in order to keep new blood flowing into a hobby for some and a serious research effort for others, general interest books are, in my view, a must. We need that casual reader to grow into that true researcher of tomorrow. And it seems new documents and photos continue to turn up, just as I see new photos from the First World War turn up from time to time.

Just my two cents,

Ed
Old 20th February 2016, 09:44
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

Ed
Agreed that new things are being revealed but for example, a contact of mine is doing a similar book having been commissioned by another publisher. His sources are not new so I doubt greatly if there will be anything new. I am also editing a book for another author-170,000 words based around a relative's 20 ops with Bomber Command. A vanity publisher said they would publish as is if he stumped up money which would leave him out of pocket & a garage full of books. 2 other respected publishers have said it is too big by 100,000 words hence my involvement. Even then there is no guarantee it will be accepted as there is no unique selling point (yet) & very few photos. Minefield so tread warily!
Old 20th February 2016, 13:42

Rudi Penker

http://www.sound-bm.com/de/allgemein...1940-1943.html
Old 23rd February 2016, 21:12

FalkeEins will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Goss View Post
Mindful of Theo Boitens work, I puzzle as to what else a book like this could add especially as there are few night fighter aircrew left?
.. Bowman did publish a very large Schiffer title (450 pages) with Boiten entitled 'Battles with the Nachtjagd' - a very nice book

Battles with the Nachtjagd

I'd expect most of this 'new' work - in two parts -would be 'extracted', or more accurately, re-written, from that title..
Old 24th February 2016, 16:15
Alter Hase

Theo Boiten will become famous soon enoughTheo Boiten will become famous soon enough

Dear all,

I just received a copy of Vol. 1 of Bowman's 'Nachtjagd. Defenders of the Reich 1940-1943', and am not amused for two reasons:
-In the 'Acknowledgements' of the book, I am quoted 'for information, images and invaluable reference work', whereas Bowman has only used partly outdated information that we shared for several book projects in the past; I have not helped him in the research of his new book.
-I have not granted Bowman permission to use many of the images that he used in his book, nor for literally quoting long German first-hand accounts from my earlier works on the Nachtjagd.

Again -I am not amused.

Theo
Old 24th February 2016, 22:15

Orwell1984 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo Boiten View Post
Dear all,

I just received a copy of Vol. 1 of Bowman's 'Nachtjagd. Defenders of the Reich 1940-1943', and am not amused for two reasons:
-In the 'Acknowledgements' of the book, I am quoted 'for information, images and invaluable reference work', whereas Bowman has only used partly outdated information that we shared for several book projects in the past; I have not helped him in the research of his new book.
-I have not granted Bowman permission to use many of the images that he used in his book, nor for literally quoting long German first-hand accounts from my earlier works on the Nachtjagd.

Again -I am not amused.

Theo
Thanks for letting us know, Theo. It will not be on my "to buy" list now
Old 25th February 2016, 16:56

PhilippeDM

Theo,

I wait with great interest your work covering the Nachtjagd. Any idea when it is going to be published?

Philippe