Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > The Second World War in General

The Second World War in General Please use this forum to discuss other World War Two related subjects not covered by the main categories.

Old 2nd February 2008, 12:09

biddendenlocal is on a distinguished road
war time maps

Hi All,
After months of research to determine the details of the shooting down of a Spitfire,that I witnessed,I have recieved from M.O.D. a map reference Biddenden 294584. To prove that it is the correct incident,I need to know where Biddenden 294584 is .It is a grid reference on a wartime map.Have we an expert in our midse who can tell me where this is in the Kent countryside??
Old 2nd February 2008, 13:07
Alter Hase

Andy Saunders is on a distinguished road
Re: war time maps

This is on the old military Casini grip of the OS maps. The modern equivalent is 856396. This is EXACTLY the spot discussed previously in relation to this incident. I have just checked my wartime map against the present day one. Hope this helps!

Andy
Old 2nd February 2008, 14:14

robert_schulte is an unknown quantity at this point

Alf,
if you'd like to find out by yourself, where this given point is, you have to know at first, where Biddenden is located in the British Cassini Grid. According to:
http://www.echodelta.net/mbs/grilles...ishcassini.htm
it should be square wR.
If you then go to the page
http://www.echodelta.net/mbs/eng-translator.php
and type in wR294584 and click on "convert", you will get a rough map, that can be enlarged by clicking on the red cross.
By doing so, following map will appear:
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp....6515600092079
This map can be enlarged further.
Best wishes
Robert
Old 2nd February 2008, 15:52

biddendenlocal is on a distinguished road

Thank you Andy&Robert.,
I know that I am being "a pain" but before I feel confident to say to everybody that I know the exact spot that Sgt Kean RNZAF died and that I will try to get a Memorial Plaque placed near the spot,will one of you send me a drawing of the exact spot that is referred to by Wartime Map reference 294584.
The map on http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp....6515600092079
does,nt show clearly the spot.If I go to Google Earth and go to 51.0741 &0.39.06 this seems to be ok.
I am sorry for being fussy,but there were 2 other crashes ,possibly within a mile.and I have worried about this for too long to be wrong at the end!!!
Old 2nd February 2008, 17:35
Alter Hase

Andy Saunders is on a distinguished road

If you send me a private message with your mailing address I will send you copies of wartime and current maps and then you can reassure yourself. I can, however, assure you that this location is exactly the same place.