Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 19th April 2018, 18:03
Alter Hase

RudiS is on a distinguished road
Anyone know this place?

Hi all,

Attached is a scan of the back of a photo. I can read "Ein 300 m hoher Turm von einen Deutschen Flieger umgeworfen in ..."
In English: a 300 meter high tower turned over by a German flyer in....

I think it's something like Sankt-Birtesfeld but I can't seem to find a place like that in Germany, Belgium, France or the Netherlands.

Anyone has an idea?

Thanks in advance.
Old 19th April 2018, 19:23
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough
Re: Anyone know this place?

Have you checked (investigated) the wartime German names of villages in Bohmen-Maehren, Silesien and Sudetenland? Bet you a Brochen, Bratwurst and a dab of Senf that you will find it there!

L.

P.S. I already checked Pomerania between Danzig and Stettin as well as Silesia. Saarland is another possibility.
Old 19th April 2018, 20:35

azapf1972 is on a distinguished road

Hm... it is "Sankt-B[...]esfeld". However, the Listing of German Place 1900 does not have a matching place listed. So either something very small or...not inside Germany in its old borders.

Long shot, I was trying to see if there was a place ending with "esfeld" but came up with nothing related.

Any change you can show us the other side of the photo?

ANdreas

Publications: JG3 - Eastern Front 1941 (eBook) - Nachtjagd mit Messerschmitt Bf 109 und Me 262 (Paperback, German)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it” - (George Santayana)
Old 20th April 2018, 00:40
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

Sankt translates as Saint.

"Birkenfeld (English: Birchfield) is a district (Landkreis) in Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany. Its seat is the town of Birkenfeld. It is bounded by (from the south and clockwise) the districts of Sankt Wendel (Saarland), Trier-Saarburg, Bernkastel-Wittlich, Rhein-Hunsrück, Bad Kreuznach and Kusel.

After World War I, the southern half of Sankt Wendel had to be ceded to the newly created Saar Territory, and the small part remaining in Prussia was then officially called the Restkreis Sankt Wendel ("remaining district of Sankt Wendel"). In 1937 the Oldenburgian District of Birkenfeld was merged with the remaining Sankt Wendel District to form the new Prussian District of Birkenfeld."

Ed
Old 20th April 2018, 09:04

azapf1972 is on a distinguished road

Ed,

your "Birkenfeld" posting is about right - I even lived there once for a short time. What is confusing though is the clear denomination as "Sankt-B..." - which does not match the Birkenfeld idea.

Andreas

Publications: JG3 - Eastern Front 1941 (eBook) - Nachtjagd mit Messerschmitt Bf 109 und Me 262 (Paperback, German)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it” - (George Santayana)
Old 20th April 2018, 11:25

egbert is on a distinguished road

I read Sankt-Butesfeld
Old 20th April 2018, 12:21
Alter Hase

Attached is a scan of the photo with the "tower". Looks like a radiomast of some sort. The seller thought it was in Belgium but I can't find any place in Belgium matching the name on the back.

I know of one similar event: a Ju 88 of KG 54 hitting a radio mast in Hilversum, The Netherlands in August 1944.
Old 20th April 2018, 18:39

Horst Weber

I read Sankt Bichesfeld
Old 24th April 2018, 11:04
Alter Hase

Thanks everyone for your info. Very much appreciated.