Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 21st September 2005, 20:38

Jon
No. 6 Squadron fighting in France 1939/40

Some of you will be aware of my other posts about Sgt Eric Bann of 238 Squadron.
I have been looking into this pilot for a few years now as his letters home before he was killed during the Battle of Britain indicate he served in France in 1939/40 and fought over Dunkirk before being sent to help form 238 just before the Battle of Britain started.
RAF records appear to show he could not have served in France as he was not in a front line squadron during this time, HOWEVER.....i have now recieved some information stating he served with No 6 Squadron in France....

My knowledge on the air fighting and the Squadrons involved over France is limited:

Did 6 Squadron serve in France ?
Does anyone have a list of all pilots with the Squadron ?
Is Sgt Bann on the list??

PLEASE HELP.
Old 21st September 2005, 21:05

alex crawford
Re: No. 6 Squadron fighting in France 1939/40

Hi Jon,

To my knowledge 6 Sqn spent the late 30's and early part of WWII in the Middle East, in particular Palestine and North Africa. It was an Army Co-op squadron equipped with Lysanders and Hurricanes, although it did have the odd Gladiator from time to time. It later used Hurricane IID's with good effect against the Afrika Corps.

I think it then went to Italy in '43, not too sure though.

Alex
Old 21st September 2005, 22:22

Fairlop

Hi Jon,

... on the outbreak of the Second World War, the squadron remained in Palestine and it was not until Spetember 1940 that its first operations were flown against the Italians in the Western Desert.

Regards,
Michal
Old 23rd September 2005, 17:46
Alter Hase

Alex Smart is on a distinguished road

Hi Jon,

Have you forgotten 6 OTU

Is it at all possible that some of this Squadron did do duty over France ?

remember these were desperate times and just perhaps those advanced enough pilots did duty over france ?

Alex