Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 25th April 2011, 05:52
Alter Hase

harrison987 is on a distinguished road
Victory Markings - Authenticity and Identification

A friend of mine has these Victory Markings. All the fabric is original...but something seems strange about a few of them. Every photo I have seen of Victory Marking being painted, they are done really neatly and precise. Some of these are really sloppy. Of course, in the middle of battle, who knows...

All originally came from a German historian who collected a lot of skin and fabric, many of which he recovered himself from various wrecks. Some, however came from Russia. When I hear something came out of Russia, I immediately cringe, due to the amount of fakes...

The one with the multiple LaGG kills is NOT from any fighter I know of, due to the circular metal ring on the left. No Me109 or Fw190 had that ring...so what fighter?

At the end of this thread are pics of the rest of his collection, all which I can tell immediately are 100% original.

My questions are below:

No issues with the one above.

No issues here either...

No issues here either...but the circular patch is odd...not for any fighter I know of. usually these patches covered bolt holes and bullet holes. As the paint is consistent, I have ruled out bullet hole patch...so must be a bolt patch, no?

Sloppy? Thoughts?

That metal ring on the left is NOT Me109 or Fw190...so what other fighter could have downed LaGG 7 and Pe-2's? Again really sloppy...Note the letters and numbers...and compare to the skin below...possibly faked as writing seems to be the same? Date one one is October 1941...should this be in winter cam? Or possibly added again in the spring when back to summer camo?

Thoughts?

No problem here.

Sloppy...and really dark. Is it me, or does the writing stop BEFORE the cracks? Check out the 5 in top row and the 9 in the bottom.

No issues here...