Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Post-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation

Post-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation Please use this forum to discuss Military and Naval Aviation after the Second World War.

Old 28th June 2013, 00:30

James A Pratt III is on a distinguished road
FAA Korean war losses

I just finished reading a book I got by inter library loan called "With the Carriers in Korea" by John R.L. Landsdown . It deals with RN and RAN carrier operations during the Korean War.. and has information on most/all the FAA aircraft losses during this period. They lost a lot more aircraft and aircrew than what were documented in Korwald. Just thought this would be of interest to you all.
Old 28th June 2013, 14:07

Paul Thompson is on a distinguished road
Re: FAA Korean war losses

Quote:
Originally Posted by James A Pratt III View Post
I just finished reading a book I got by inter library loan called "With the Carriers in Korea" by John R.L. Landsdown . It deals with RN and RAN carrier operations during the Korean War.. and has information on most/all the FAA aircraft losses during this period. They lost a lot more aircraft and aircrew than what were documented in Korwald. Just thought this would be of interest to you all.
Hello James,

Thank you for that information, that work fills an interesting gap. On the subject of Korwald's deficiencies, do you know of similar books which cover the losses RAAF and SAAF in the war? I've read books on this conflict from time to time and have always been surprised how incomplete and confused the loss figures are, 60 years after the war. On page 72 of the newly published Osprey Duel book, "F-86 Sabre vs. MiG-15", there is yet another new set of figures on Sabre losses: 224 total, 40 in accidents, 61 operational, 18 AAA, 1 bombing, 78 to MiGs, 14 fuel starvation and 12 failed to return. I haven't checked against other books so far, but I have a distinct feeling that there will be inconsistencies.

Regards,

Paul Thompson
Old 28th June 2013, 22:41

James A Pratt III is on a distinguished road

I am afraid I don't have anything else on RAAF and SAAF losses. However, they each only had one squadron flying in Korea which should make it easier to track them down. I have heard that more than a few historians have complained about poor state of USAF record keeping during the Korean war. It looks like this war needs someone to do some more research on it. I am glad to have been of help Paul.
Old 29th June 2013, 14:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by James A Pratt III View Post
I am afraid I don't have anything else on RAAF and SAAF losses. However, they each only had one squadron flying in Korea which should make it easier to track them down. I have heard that more than a few historians have complained about poor state of USAF record keeping during the Korean war. It looks like this war needs someone to do some more research on it. I am glad to have been of help Paul.
Hello James,

Thank you for your help, the book about the FAA is an interesting source in any case! I've read about Korea only intermittenly, so perhaps there are already good sources available for both the RAAF and SAAF. I think most 20th century wars need more research, especially when it comes to air battles! Korea is a really good example of professional historians never troubling to assist the efforts of enthusiasts, I hope that changes at last.

Regards,

Paul Thompson
Old 29th June 2013, 17:44
Alter Hase

Col Bruggy will become famous soon enough

Hello,

For RAF, RAAF, RN, RAN & SAAF participation in Korea, 1950 -1951 the following publication is unsurpassed:

With the Yanks in Korea - Volume One - The First Definitive Account of British and Commonwealth Participation in the Air War, June 1950 - December 1951.
Cull.Brian & Dennis Newton.
London:Grub Street,2000.

Besides a fine narrative account, there are detailed loss tables for all the participants in Appendixes I - VII. The book has a select bibliography (including Lansdown's, With the Carriers in Korea 1950-53), and an excellent index.

Where is Volume Two, Brian?

Col.

Last edited by Col Bruggy; 30th June 2013 at 01:25.
Old 29th June 2013, 22:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Bruggy View Post
Hello,

For RAF, RAAF, RN, RAN & SAAF participation in Korea, 1950 -1951 the following publication is unsurpassed:

With the Yanks in Korea - Volume One - The First Definitive Account of British and Commonwealth Participation in the Air War, June 1950 - December 1951.
Cull.Brian & Dennis Newton.
London:Grub Street,2000.

Besides a fine narrative account, there are detailed loss tables for all the participants in Appendixes I - VII. The book has a select bibliography (including Lansdowne's, With the Carriers in Korea 1950-53), and an excellent index.

Where is Volume Two, Brian?

Col.
Hello Col Bruggy,

Excellent, another great title I wasn't aware of! I add my voice to the chorus asking for Volume Two!

Regards,

Paul Thompson
Old 1st July 2013, 20:42
Alter Hase

Brian is on a distinguished road

Hi guys

Thanks for the kind words re WITH THE YANKS IN KOREA - I'm afraid the publisher wouldn't do Volume 2.

However, I have something on the back burner. Stay tuned!

Cheers
Brian

PS: I have some copies of Volume 1 should anyone be interested.
Old 1st July 2013, 21:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Hi guys

Thanks for the kind words re WITH THE YANKS IN KOREA - I'm afraid the publisher wouldn't do Volume 2.

However, I have something on the back burner. Stay tuned!

Cheers
Brian

PS: I have some copies of Volume 1 should anyone be interested.
Hello Brian,

You're welcome! I hope there is more in store.

Regards,
Paul Thompson
P.S. I've sent you a PM
Old 2nd July 2013, 00:43
Super Moderator

John Beaman is an unknown quantity at this point

Guys, great posts. The Korean air war is like a black hole. Keep it alive!
Old 3rd July 2013, 10:07
Alter Hase

Nokose will become famous soon enough

There is a translation coming out on 01 Aug 2013 called "Red Devils over the Yalu: A chronicle of Soviet aerial operations in the Korean War 1950-53" by Igor Seidov which is in paperback and 712 pages.