Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 25th July 2015, 22:35

oquaig is on a distinguished road
Re: flugplatz Lemonsky

Well, I have done an extensive search in Memlland and western Lithuania and Latvia and found nothing. I have read through the war diary for 291 Infantry Division and the siege of Liepaja and came up with this: Liepaja airfield was taken by the division on 24 June at 14.40 hrs. The near by village of Grobina was being shelled by 210 mm and 280 mm shore batteries from the Soviet held port. The division reported Ju88's bombing the port at 22.00hrs on 24 June and again at 22.15 hrs on 25 June. A report on the airfield stated that the airfield was only half finished and that 3000 men (Reich Arbeits Dienst ?) were being brought up by trucks to complete the job... so no one was using the field.

Now I have noticed that most of II./JG 53's movements have been in tandem with those of I./JG 54. When I./JG 54 moved to Jacobpils in 1.7.41, II./JG 53 had moved there (to Keuzberg on the north side of the Dvina, where the airfield was) the day before. They both moved to Gulbene on 5.7.41. On 10.7.41 I./JG 54 moves to Korovje Selo and II./JG 53 moves to Kapovo (Ostrov-Nord). On 16.7.41 we find II./JG 53 at Korovje Selo with I./JG 54. So assuming they were moving in tandem all along I began my search at Siauliai where I./JG 54 arrived on 26.6.41. I searched villages, towns, street names and even names of Hotels. The main airfield for Siauliai is on the SE corner of the town. 20 km further to the SE past Radvilliskis is a small airfield next to the forest, hamlet and train station of Linkaiciai. Assuming that most Germans are not fluent in Lithuanian, so this might be our “Lemonsky”, or not.

The pattern fits. The operational radius of the Bf 109F-2 would allow them to fly out to Liepaja then up the coast as far as Cape Kolka via the Irbe strait, fly through Riga bay and back to Siauliai. I have no idea what route they may have taken. All I know is that they were patroling the coast and they didn't find anyone to shoot down.

Comments ?
Old 26th July 2015, 17:52

RolandF is on a distinguished road

I'm convinced the solution can only be found in an original german military map from 1941. The German maps dated back to WW I and were strongly influenced by the population of this area. Lithuania of 1918 was a part of Russia with the official language Russian, 2nd most common language Lithuanian with strong minorities Polish and Baltic German.
So there will be no misreading or misunderstanding of the name "Lemonsky" but it is the German transcription of a location which is not used any more. Just remember Vilnius-Wilna-Wilno. Lemonsky seem to me to be situated in the southeast of Lithuania, where Polish was common at that time. The Polish name might be "Lemonski, Limonski" or similar and isn't used anymore; the Lithuanian name nowadays might be quite different.
A good example example in this region: Šalčininkai (lith.), Sassenicken (ger.), Soleczniki (pol.)

Regards

RolandF
Old 26th July 2015, 22:49

Andy Mitchell will become famous soon enoughAndy Mitchell will become famous soon enough

No help but of interest by association from (Akte 902. Militärgeographische Angaben über die Baltischen Länder (Estland, Lettland, Litauen)

Andy Mitchell

LuftwaffeData Wiki including the history of Aufklgr. 122

Last edited by Andy Mitchell; 11th January 2018 at 23:22.
Old 15th August 2015, 19:36

oquaig is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Mitchell View Post
Thanks Andy,
Actually this is a very informative little book. It lists all the towns that have Military assets (Bridges, roads, railroad yards, military kasernes, airfields, factories, etc...). Interesting to know that Siauliai Airfield was 127.4 hectares in size and had a 30,000 liter aviation fuel storage tank. It also gives the German and Russian alternate names of these places in addition to their Estonian, Latvian and Lithuanian names. It does not mention all the airfields shown on the map you provided and alas no town named Lemonsky.

I have also found Maps on line that cover the Baltic States in great detail for the period 1893 to 1944...Russian Maps, German Army Maps, Latvian and Lithuanian maps down to 1:25000 scale: But I did not find Lemonsky.

Deutsche Heeres Maps Eastern Europe 1938-1944
http://igrek.amzp.pl/mapindex.php?cat=ME300