Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 19th March 2011, 22:30

James A Pratt III is on a distinguished road
Yermolav YER-2

I am looking for information on the YER-2 GPW bomber and it's operations. I have found some information on it's 1941 ops including the Berlin raids but not much else. I know this is somewhat of a rare bird but can anyone help me find out any information on units, operations,and losses. I know it was mainly used for night bombing. and i believe the following units used it:
1941: 420 BAP
1944-45 328 & 329 BAPs
Old 19th March 2011, 23:08
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough
Re: Yermolav YER-2

James
As per Yefim Gordon there were two units equipped with the type when Soviet Union entered the war in 1941, 420th and 421st Long Range Bomber Regiments. Late summer all present aircraft were combined into the 81st Bomber Division. Still later all aircraft was used to form the 748th Long Range Bomber Regiment. This unit changed name to 2nd Guard Long Range Bomber Regiment. Without any explanation he then says that in the summer of 1942 the last seven remaining Yer-2 were phased out from 747th Regiment and that somewhat later some were used by the 45th Division. I don't know if the mix between 748th and 747th unit designation is a printing error or if a transfer was made between two different units.
All this refer to the ca 118 Yer-2 built before the factory was evacuated.
However in 1943 new production of the Yer-2/ACh.30B (diesel-engined version) went into production and some 300+ more aircraft built.
Gordon in the book I have (Soviet Combat Aircraft in WW 2) makes surprisingly enough no mentioning of any units equipped with this type.

Cheers
Stig