Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 3rd November 2018, 00:42

Tony Kearns
Re: Oberleutnant Herbert Knabel

Many thanks Col for that, do you have the Sqn codes ie individual letters of ID,( sorry if I appear to push it a bit)
best regards
Tony K
Old 3rd November 2018, 00:54
Alter Hase

Col Bruggy will become famous soon enough

Hello,

Can't help with S/L Heyworth or Sgt Evans.

P-0596 F/O Tadeusz Wladyslaw SAWICZ PAF - No.316 Sqn Hurricane I P3926:SZ-P

Col.
Old 3rd November 2018, 01:00

markr

Many thanks everyone, for all of this information!

markr
Old 3rd November 2018, 10:15
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Markr

May I just ask what your source is?
If Ofw Knäbel is your Oblt "Knabel" this source of yours have two faults in a rather brief request of yours.
a) He was an Ofw and not an Oblt
b) He went missing and did not become a POW

Just curious
Stig
Old 4th November 2018, 13:32

JoMe is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

V4+KH is the entry in the GQM-loss list.

JoMe
Old 4th November 2018, 15:12
Alter Hase

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMe View Post
Hi

V4+KH is the entry in the GQM-loss list.

JoMe
I see...
Hmmm, I will add 'KH' as listed in GQM then.
But remember what Matti use to say. NVM usually outstrip GQM reports, but then again we then usually talk about WNr and individuals names.

Thanks for the reply BTW

Cheers
Stig
Old 4th November 2018, 15:36
Alter Hase

Matti Salonen will become famous soon enough

The code in the GQM list dated 11.4.41 is V4+HH. I have a copy of the IWM microfilm, where the letters are very clear.

Matti
Old 4th November 2018, 16:06
Alter Hase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matti Salonen View Post
The code in the GQM list dated 11.4.41 is V4+HH. I have a copy of the IWM microfilm, where the letters are very clear.

Matti
Thanks Matti

That settles it!

Cheers
Stig
Old 4th November 2018, 16:41
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

This was found on www

Oberleutnant Herbert E Knaebel (deceased)

Born on February 21, 1918 in Wolmirstedt, Germany, Herbert Knaebel was interested in aviation as a youngster. He joined the Luftwaffe in 1936, was trained as a pilot, earned his wings, and joined the Kampfgeschwader Hindenburg. Knaebel volunteered for combat duty and joined the Condor Legion in Spain, where he flew the Heinkel 111 on 62 missions during the Spanish Civil War. At the end of this conflict Knaebel rejoined his old unit. As World War Two erupted Knaebel was pressed into duty during the attacks on Poland, France, and eventually during the Battle of Britain. Knaebel became the first Luftwaffe bomber pilot to fly his 100th mission. Herbert was fortunate to fly many of these mission without incident. However, on April 9,1941 Knaebel flew his 162nd and most eventful mission, which was to prove to be his last. While attacking a British convoy in the North Sea, Knaebel's Heinkel 111 was hit by anti-aircraft fire from two destroyers. With two of his crew critically injured, Knaebel was attempting to return to base when an RAF Hurricane targeted Knaebel's aircraft. The Hurricane ultimately brought down Knaebel's craft, and Knaebel and his navigator, the only other surviving crewman, bailed out. Demonstrating the gallantry and respect often exhibited by fellow airmen, even if on opposing sides, the Hurricane pilot dropped a yellow marker, and flew back and forth to a destroyer, which finally picked up the two survivors from the cold waters. Knaebel became, as he describes it, "a guest of the King" (i.e.- prisoner of war) following his rescue. He spent one year of captivity in England, but was later transferred to Canada. As a POW Knaebel took advantage of the opportunity to further educate himself, as he had access in the camp to many books. He was released in Canada in 1947. Returning to Germany to complete his education, Herbert married his wife Mary in 1951. The young couple immigrated to Canada where Herbert worked for the International Nickel Company and later U.S. Steel in Northern Quebec. In 1962 the Knaebels decided to look for a warmer climate, and they immigrated to the Central Coast of California. Herbert worked for a time at Vandenburg AF13 near Santa Maria, California. Bitten by the California bug, he decided to pass up the opportunity for a permanent position which would have necessitated a move to Arkansas. Instead, Knaebel joined a local company as its Chief Chemist, a position he retained for twenty-two years prior to his retirement. Herbert and his wife Mary were resident in Santa Maria, where Herbert enjoyed a daily swim under the warm California skies. Sadly, Herbert Knaebel passed away on 17th October 2009.

B

Old 5th November 2018, 14:00

JoMe is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I looked in my micro fiche, the code is unclear, but actually seems to be more V4 + HH than V4 + KH.
My mistake, sorry.

best wishes
JoMe