Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 21st March 2024, 04:44

Edward is on a distinguished road
Re: Italian Aviation in the First World War

Clint,

I own a copy of the Gentilli's Schiffer volume, one of many books that I acquired during the pandemic as I abruptly attempted to create a basic WWI aviation library. It is certainly the heaviest military history book that I own and its size and weight does curtail my enjoyment of reading it. It provides the basics of what I need though I am curious about James Davilla's three volumes and the upcoming series from Roberto Gentilli and Aeronaut.

I am not a big fan of p.o.d. books at this time though I certainly appreciate why a publisher of specialty histories would embrace this business model. Yes, I buy books for the information contained therein but you certainly lose a fair amount of the aesthetics with pod's when its comes to paper quality, binding (stitched vs. glued) and sharp photo reproduction. This, combined with Amazon's atrocious, loose packaging of the $50 - $100 pod books has made me swear off these products.
Old 21st March 2024, 14:29
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough
Re: Italian Aviation in the First World War

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
I am not a big fan of p.o.d. books at this time though I certainly appreciate why a publisher of specialty histories would embrace this business model. Yes, I buy books for the information contained therein but you certainly lose a fair amount of the aesthetics with pod's when its comes to paper quality, binding (stitched vs. glued) and sharp photo reproduction. This, combined with Amazon's atrocious, loose packaging of the $50 - $100 pod books has made me swear off these products.
I agree on all points, but with regard to the Aeronaut books, they chose from the beginning to use
a rather mediocre printing quality (I ordered my initial books straight from the US)
Why they have chosen to do so, is unknown to me. Bottom line is that Amazon's quality is more
or less the same as they have always been from the beginning.

With regard to their packing, all I can say is that by now I don't even remember all the times
I have been blue in the face, just by keeping my breath waiting for the package to arrive.....

Cheers
Stig