Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 29th May 2009, 05:04
Alter Hase

edwest is an unknown quantity at this point
Luftwaffe aerial recon prior to D-Day

Can anyone point me to a source that describes Luftwaffe flights over England just prior to D-Day?

Thanks in advance,
Ed
Old 29th May 2009, 10:50
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about
Re: Luftwaffe aerial recon prior to D-Day

There are sporadic reports in the ULTRA traffic from the spring of 1944, from NAG 13's Bf 109s, usually referring to cover of the Devon and Cornwall coasts.

In a PW interrogation, I've read that 1.(F)/121's Me 410s were over at night doing recon or damage assessment for the later Steinbock raids on the south coast ports.

IIRC JG 26 sent the odd pair of aircraft to check out the Straits of Dover as well.
Old 29th May 2009, 13:14
Alter Hase

Graham Boak is on a distinguished road

Accounts of the Ar 240/440 describe flights by Oberst(?) Goertz in March 1940, from Paris Orly. Photos of the aircraft are available in the Flugzeug profile on the type, and elsewhere.
Old 29th May 2009, 18:37
Alter Hase

Thank you both. I'm wondering if the Germans had some idea of the troop buildup going on.

Ed
Old 11th June 2009, 22:45

Martin388 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwest View Post
Thank you both. I'm wondering if the Germans had some idea of the troop buildup going on.

Ed
Hi Ed,

The late Erich Sommer (Ar 234 pilot, VersVerb dLw) always claimed that it was not possible to fly over that zone and returen safely with photos with the Luftwaffe reccon a/c available (Ju 88 D/T, Ju 188F/D, Me 410 A/B) prior to the approach of the German reccon jet planes.
I wonder If that can be proved by evidence ...

Martin from Vienna
www.oefh.at
Old 11th June 2009, 23:04
Alter Hase

Hi Martin,

Thank you for that information. I am wondering if the Germans were aware of American troop ships coming in.

Ed
Old 11th July 2009, 12:05

Chris Going is on a distinguished road

Just a quick footnote, as it were Ed, to your inquiry. Once the Invasion got under way efforts were made to photograph UK harbours and the kentish port of Ramsgate was covered by 5/123 (7th June 1944 Sortie F29/44, pilot Uffz Kallenberger, Height 750m; photos 753 and 754 used in report on the shipping there. Int Report Nr 3474 from from Stabia Luft 3). Copy in IWM.

There was another off Shoreham, same day, but I dont have the details in front of me now.....

Best.....

ChrisG
Old 11th July 2009, 13:32
Alter Hase

Brian Bines is on a distinguished road

Notes from a PRO file made some years ago on Enemy Air Avitivity Over the UK show 5th April Luftwaffe recon over the N.Sea and S/W Approaches, 6-4 evening recon over the English Channel , 19-4 single aircraft over IOW, 21-4 afternoon recon to Poole area. The E-Boot attack off Slapton Sands on 28th April has been reported as being the result of a Luftwaffe recon.
Between 3-9th May daily recon activity was reported and on May 20th there was recon to the Swanage and Dover areas.
Additionally on 7th march a Fw190 of Stab/NAG13 crashed in Guernsey following a recon to the S/W coast and on 28th. March a Bf109G of 5(F)/123 was shot down over France returning from a mission to London and the Thames Estuary.
No details of how well these missions went, there were also missions to Scotland.
Roman Gastager in the book Easter Bunnies refers to a couple of missions to Ireland and Southern England in a Ju88H1 in mid May.
Old 16th July 2009, 17:26

cheesey

Hello.
Just to add something to Brian's post. On March 7th, 1944 two pilots of 610 Sqn. engaged three Fw190s approx 35 miles SE of Start Point at about 17.45hrs. Enemy aircraft broke and one was seen to be hit around the wing root area, panels flew off port mainplane. Enemy took little evasive action and aircraft was not seen to strike the ground/sea.
This puts the engagement very near to NW part of Guernsey. I believe 190 crashed at La Ponchez area of island.
RAF pilots were:P/O Hussey & F/Sgt Harding flying Spitfire Mk XIVs. Gun camera was used and e/a was dark grey/light in colour.
Hope this helps, Steve.
Old 16th July 2009, 18:09
Alter Hase

Brian Bines is on a distinguished road

Steve,

According to an enquiry to the Dienstelle the German pilot was Oblt. Gottfried Bitterlich b. 27-12-1915, they gave ths crash site as north of Flugplatzes Guernsey. I take it you have a copy of the 610 Sqd. combat report,

Regards

Brian Bines