Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 30th September 2005, 00:04
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road
Fw 190 in colour

Any comments on this photo? Looks coloured for me.

http://cgi.ebay.de/Fw-190-A-Fw190-JG...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 30th September 2005, 02:29

Jean-Yves Lorant is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Fw 190 in colour

Hi Franek,

I am of your opinion. This picture seems to be colorized or heavily "photoshoped". All is now possible on eBay ! We can also regret the lack of scruples of certain sellers who regularly propose Jpeg scans or bad reproductions in the place of real original photographs. Currently, certain people do not hesitate to sell reproductions of well-known Bundesarchiv or ECPA-D photographs, others making obviously robbery and concealment. Worst of this: the purchasers take the risk to be prosecuted...
Old 30th September 2005, 04:03
Alter Hase

Dénes Bernád will become famous soon enough
Re: Fw 190 in colour

I like the New Zealander seller's note: "Copyright status is clear. Bidder is free to publish."
Old 30th September 2005, 09:20

David Ransome

Hi,

I actually think the colour seems okay, and apparently it is a 35mm 1940s slide. Looking at the sellers other items there are many which could have been 'coloured' (but have not) to make them more attractive to buyers.

Just my thoughts!

David
Old 30th September 2005, 11:12

Dan O'Connell will become famous soon enough

Looks correct to me, for the period.
Old 30th September 2005, 11:19

FalkeEins will become famous soon enough

lets try this one from the same seller who says "..Revenue opportunity. Very high quality photo scan on CD. 600ppi, aspect ratio: 540mm x 457.1mm totalling 394MB. Detail very good, color balance excellent, contrast very good. Suitable for professional publishing. Image is ready to go. To my knowledge, this photo has never been published before....".

Is there anyone here who hasn't seen this one before..? ..no thought not ..I don't think its ever looked like this either..!!.. I'll defer to the opinion of our resident photo-archivist on these..

Last edited by FalkeEins; 30th September 2005 at 11:21.
Old 30th September 2005, 13:29

Primoz

The photo posted by Franek looks "photoshopped" rather than colorized. Look at those blue clouds. I guess the original pic must have been a pretty faded color photo.
Old 30th September 2005, 14:52

Modeldad will become famous soon enough

Photoshop? Who cares? None appear to be original. They are "copies" and who knows what generatrion of copies. Once copied then everything else is up for grabs. The film for copy changes things from the get-go. Then there is scanning and publishing on the internt and your screen settings. Photohop is the least of the issues. I'd say if I was going to photshop it, I'd bring some of the color into balance.

There are other issue, IIRC, the Ethel Collection claims a copyright to the T-bolt pic, it also claims copyright to almost every color pic of an aircraft ;-)

The whole thing appears to be selling photo-copies of the Mona Lisa.

BTW, I found the original of the 190 pic under my mattress. Note the "yellow edge from age". And the "squggles" appear more red than green. I also shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in them, I do not know.

Last edited by Modeldad; 30th September 2005 at 15:09.
Old 30th September 2005, 15:08
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road

While the other JG54 photo of the seller seems pretty OK, this one causes my doubts. It is not only the clouds but also the canopy, tyres, etc. Perhaps a reproduction of a photo from a journal or postcard?
We have discussed copyright issues previously and there is no doubt ECPA holds no copyright for PK photos. I do not think BAMA does have any rights either. It is a matterto be cleared but I think most of the WWII photos are copyright free.
Old 30th September 2005, 17:34

George Hopp

Well, I bought some parts manuals on CD for some marks of the 109, and the photography of each page was excellent.

If the photos have been returned to their original hue, he was only doing what they did with the Sistine Chapel. So we now see what the original photographer saw, so what?