Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 8th April 2024, 06:01

oquaig is on a distinguished road
Has anyone ever found aerial photos or a map of these airfields ?

Hi everyone,

Has anyone ever found aerial photos or a map of Starawies, Rogoznica, Miedzyrzee airfields ? They were all with 5 km of each other with Krzewica only 10 km away. The Luftwaffe Airfields page by de Zeng has little information except that there was a Polish airfield there before the war. Could it be that Starawies, Rogoznica were the same airfield with the crews quartered in different villages ?

Thanks in advance
Oquaig
Old 16th April 2024, 07:37

Re: Has anyone ever found aerial photos or a map of these airfields ?

Hi everyone,

The only source I have that I./KG 53 was at Miedzyrzee is Heinz Kiehl. It is mentioned only once in the text and isn’t footnoted. I suspect everyone just quotes from him without question. If there is another source I would like to see it. Odd that I./KG 53 spent only one day/night at Miedzyrzee. Maybe they (officers, aircrew ?) were only quartered there for the night. They flew missions while there on 2 July 1941 and had one aircraft damaged by a fighter. On 3 July 1941 I./KG 53 lost another making a “Bruchlandung” at “Krewitca” (Krzewica) possibly before their move to Baranovichi the same day.

oquaig
Old 17th April 2024, 00:34

Tim O. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by oquaig View Post
Hi everyone,

The only source I have that I./KG 53 was at Miedzyrzee is Heinz Kiehl. It is mentioned only once in the text and isn’t footnoted. I suspect everyone just quotes from him without question. If there is another source I would like to see it. Odd that I./KG 53 spent only one day/night at Miedzyrzee. Maybe they (officers, aircrew ?) were only quartered there for the night. They flew missions while there on 2 July 1941 and had one aircraft damaged by a fighter. On 3 July 1941 I./KG 53 lost another making a “Bruchlandung” at “Krewitca” (Krzewica) possibly before their move to Baranovichi the same day.

oquaig
I have a Flugbuch to a 5./KG53 airman based at Krzewika from 26 June to 1 July 1941 and flying three missions from there (26 and 30 June and 1 July).

Looking for any information or documents relating to:
Alfred Schmittka 5./KG 54; Josef Harmeling 4.(Schlacht)/LG 2; Wilhelm Gaul 1./106, 2./906 & III./KG 40; Karl Müller I./KG 2; Werner Breese 5.(F)/122
Old 17th April 2024, 06:53

Hi Tom,

Interesting, so at least 5./KG 53 moved to Krzewica after III. and IV./JG 51 moved to Pruzhany on 24 June. I wonder if the entire group moved there as well...

Thanks Tom