Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 20th September 2015, 15:39
Alter Hase

edNorth is on a distinguished road
Re: We need some help regarding KG 40 Bordeaux-Merignac

While at it, I seek good He 111 H-5 images, especially 4./KG 40 whilst in South-Norway or West of France, first half and summer 1941 (not them on night attacks over Britain) but them on shipping recce or strike. These often flew in wide arch west of Ireland and Northen-Ireland and landed Norway, them flying back. Known codes include F8+AM, F8+CM, F8+EM, F8+GM, F8+LM, F8+MM, F8+NM, F8+OM, F8+PM, F8+QM (10) altho 15 were on strength at one time point.

I put up a question mark on referring to unit KG 40 as operating Torpedo Bombers.
Old 20th September 2015, 18:04

hans_wittman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Beale View Post
Many Luftwaffe units kept one or two older aircraft for use as transports and for courier duties.
Hi Nick,

Thank for clarifying the matter.

Regards Hans
Old 20th September 2015, 18:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidney View Post
Hi Hans,

Although Nick Beale already answered your query, please also refer to Ed North's post No.3, more specifically to the following: "... He 111s used by KG 40 ... were of many marks, both very early (B and/or E as known from very rare photos) and later versions (H-5 to H-6)..."

In my post I just wanted to illustrate his point since I have a copy of some of these photos of the older He 111 serving with KG 40.

Regards,
Sinisa
Hi Sidney,

Yes i saw that KG 40 mainly used He 111 h-5 and some of them were transfer to Norway and they were torpedoes bomber so it might be plausible that they were use against shipping or to train pilots in the Bay of Biscay and also they used or test guided missiles.

But the info is pretty hard to come by.

Regards Hans
Old 20th September 2015, 18:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Boak View Post
These are clearly not As, having the late engine installation. Es are possible. An assumption would be Js, as these were supposedly built for torpedo-bomber use, but there does not seem to be any strong mounting for the torpedoes visible under the fuselage.
Hi Graham,

The pvc rack for torpedo mounting were very quick and easy to install on any he 111, that was the main versatility of the 111.

Regards Hans
Old 20th September 2015, 18:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by edNorth View Post
While at it, I seek good He 111 H-5 images, especially 4./KG 40 whilst in South-Norway or West of France, first half and summer 1941 (not them on night attacks over Britain) but them on shipping recce or strike. These often flew in wide arch west of Ireland and Northen-Ireland and landed Norway, them flying back. Known codes include F8+AM, F8+CM, F8+EM, F8+GM, F8+LM, F8+MM, F8+NM, F8+OM, F8+PM, F8+QM (10) altho 15 were on strength at one time point.

I put up a question mark on referring to unit KG 40 as operating Torpedo Bombers.
Hi Ed,

Thank that some new info i didn't came across yet, will try to google them intensively to see if i came across something.

Regards Hans
Old 20th September 2015, 18:37
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

KG 40 did not operate the Me 410 nor did it carry out torpedo missions over the Bay
Old 20th September 2015, 19:19

gogh is on a distinguished road

given earlier on this board by Jim P.

"Re: KG40 HE111 Loss 21.3.42
He 111H-6, 4375, Popp, Fw. Ludwig, , III., 9., KG 40, gelbeE, F8+ET, VF+WL*, , 21-Mar-42, Interned with crew due to Luftkampf with Beaufighter from 254 Sq. (Schand)., , Lfl.3/Atlantik, Gen.Qu.6.Abt. (mfm #5)-Vol.8; The Blitz, Then & Now, III, p.99, , See südwestlich Bull Rock Lighthouse, County Cork, Eire, 100%, F, Bo Uffz. Heinrich Kapp, Bf Uffz. Adolf Ölkers & Bs Gefr. Rudolf Ippich, ,"
Old 21st September 2015, 02:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Goss View Post
KG 40 did not operate the Me 410 nor did it carry out torpedo missions over the Bay
Hi Chris,

I took the information from this very credible source :

In late 43 began conversion to Me 410 destroyers. In 6.43 redesignated V./KG2

http://www.ww2.dk/air/kampf/kg40.htm

For the 111 h i also found nothing regarding torpedoes operations so far

Regards Hans
Old 21st September 2015, 02:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogh View Post
given earlier on this board by Jim P.

"Re: KG40 HE111 Loss 21.3.42
He 111H-6, 4375, Popp, Fw. Ludwig, , III., 9., KG 40, gelbeE, F8+ET, VF+WL*, , 21-Mar-42, Interned with crew due to Luftkampf with Beaufighter from 254 Sq. (Schand)., , Lfl.3/Atlantik, Gen.Qu.6.Abt. (mfm #5)-Vol.8; The Blitz, Then & Now, III, p.99, , See südwestlich Bull Rock Lighthouse, County Cork, Eire, 100%, F, Bo Uffz. Heinrich Kapp, Bf Uffz. Adolf Ölkers & Bs Gefr. Rudolf Ippich, ,"
Hi Gogh,

Thank for the info

Regards Hans
Old 21st September 2015, 11:34
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans_wittman View Post
Hi Chris,

I took the information from this very credible source :

In late 43 began conversion to Me 410 destroyers. In 6.43 redesignated V./KG2

http://www.ww2.dk/air/kampf/kg40.htm

For the 111 h i also found nothing regarding torpedoes operations so far

Regards Hans
Two points here: (1) Chris is an even more credible source; (2) converting to the Me 410 and then being renamed as V./KG 2 does not mean that KG 40 ever used the type on operations over the Atlantic.