Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East

Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East Please use this forum to discuss the Air War in the Far East.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 26th October 2016, 17:04

Raponda is on a distinguished road
Nakajima torpedo bombers

I am editing my father's World War II memoirs in the South West Pacific Area in 1944-45. His Liberty ship, SS Antoine Saugrain was torpedoed on December 5, 1944, abandoned and sunk on December 5. The book, "Liberty's War" will be published in May coincident with a museum exhibition about the story at the American Merchant Marine Museum, Kings Point NY (Long Island). I am looking for wartime photos of Nakajima "Kate" B5N and Nakajima "Jill" B6N bombers. Can anyone help?

I have had no luck identifying the unit that sank his ship between Dinegat and Leyte islands in the Philippines, sailing with the Pacific convoy Task Unit 76.4.7. Most action reports identify a Kate or Jill as the aircraft dropping the torpedoes. Suggestions, anyone?