Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 15th December 2016, 10:51
Alter Hase

John Manrho will become famous soon enough
Re: Identification of two pilots, France, Summer 1944

Jochen,

Ok, I also feel we must be able to establish who this is. Do we know for sure if this is a JG pilot or come other units also in play?

Regards,

John
Old 15th December 2016, 12:40
Alter Hase

Snautzer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwdsoldat View Post
Hello Snautzer,
the pilot is wearing his ring on the left hand. That means often, in Germany, that he is, in time, engaged with his girl.
Very small help for you and Nick I know.
Best greetings
Manfred
Never knew that , thank you
Old 15th December 2016, 14:11
Alter Hase

Brian Bines is on a distinguished road

The photos of the Bf109 G-6/AS that has been published many times is that the Black 14 of 8/JG1 ? Both men in the photo have their wrist compass on their belts often many other photos show them on the life jacket , any practical reason for being on the belt.
Old 15th December 2016, 19:03

Don Pearson

After looking at the photos in Frappe's volume, they look very similar to the I./JG 5 photos.

Don

Last edited by Don Pearson; 15th December 2016 at 19:40. Reason: spoke too soon
Old 15th December 2016, 21:20

Pete63 is on a distinguished road

Okay, we rule out Bartels and Müncheberg - but is it 100% sure these pictures you are referring to (which I didn't know, but which can be found at FalkeEins's blog) are from the very same visit of the photographer in question to France..?
I don't recognize the pilot sitting in the Bf 109 as the pilot in the left hand of the photographs mentioned at the beginning of this thread... It might be him - but I can't see this...
The airfield in question does look a bit like Saint-Omer / Clairmarais which I visited this summer, but even that is a hunch based on nothing much, I'm afraid...
With kind regards,
Piet
Old 15th December 2016, 22:09
Alter Hase

Teresa Maria is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete63 View Post
Maybe far fetched, but could the one on the right be Joachim Müncheberg..?
There is a bit of a resemblance when you compare the chin and the teeth, e.g. ...
With kind regards,
Piet

Surely not! First, Joachim Muncheberg was killed in action in April 1943, so he would have been dead by then. Second, he was blond and much more handsome than the guy in the photo.
Old 16th December 2016, 09:42

Jochen Prien is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwdsoldat View Post
Hello Snautzer,
the pilot is wearing his ring on the left hand. That means often, in Germany, that he is, in time, engaged with his girl.
Very small help for you and Nick I know.
Best greetings
Manfred
Gentlemen,

although it will bring us no closer to the solution of this thread's issue, the above statment needs clarification - in Germany the wedding ring is usually worn on the right hand ring finger by Protestants, whereas Catholics usually wear it on the left hand ring finger. Protestants in the past often wore their (future) wedding ring on the left hand ring finger during the time between engagement and marriage. Therefore our Leutnant in question may have been a married Catholic or an engaged Protestant.

KR

Jochen Prien
Old 17th December 2016, 18:56

Horst Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jochen Prien View Post
Gentlemen,

although it will bring us no closer to the solution of this thread's issue, the above statment needs clarification - in Germany the wedding ring is usually worn on the right hand ring finger by Protestants, whereas Catholics usually wear it on the left hand ring finger. Protestants in the past often wore their (future) wedding ring on the left hand ring finger during the time between engagement and marriage. Therefore our Leutnant in question may have been a married Catholic or an engaged Protestant.

KR

Jochen Prien
Mr. Prien

The discussion of the place of a wedding/engagement ring of a German pilot is fruitless on my opinion.

Me, a native German (catholic) was engaged with an American girl and wore my ring then lefthand. After wedding, I changed it righthand. After a week, I rechanged it back lefthand since it is much more comfortable in working for a complete right-hander like me.

Concerning your post, I asked my mother (87 years) and she told me, that in our catholic area (Rhineland) the married couples wore their wedding rings lefthand usually.

Best wishes !

Horst Weber
Old 18th December 2016, 00:54

Jochen Prien is on a distinguished road

Dear Horst Weber,

The discussion of the place of a wedding/engagement ring of a German pilot is fruitless on my opinion.

... I think that is what I wanted to express with my post.

KR

Jochen Prien
Old 18th December 2016, 14:13
Alter Hase

Marc-André Haldimann will become famous soon enough

Dear Jochen,

To my knowledge, many of the Bf 109 G-8 shown in that Bundesarchiv series like Bild 101l-496-3477-24, taken by PK Engelmann at Sours near Chartres in July 1944, did belong to 3./NAGr. 14 which operated under the command of Stab NAGr. 13.

Could thus those pilots be from NAGr 14 ?

Cheers
Marc