Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 17th September 2005, 16:53

Henschel is on a distinguished road
Captured Fieseler Storch crash near Bielefeld/Germany

Dear Readers,

I hope this is the right place for my question inside this forum. To the Admin: If it a better place gives please brings me there!

I investigate over 14 aircraft crashes near Bielefeld/Laemershagen/Germany. In a case it acts thereby about a captured Fieseler Storch of the American army. It crashed in direct proximity to the motorway (Autobahn in 1945 Reichsautobahn 1 --- today Autobahn A-2). Crash time was in the first April days 1945. It took place during the fights in the Teutoburger Forest. The crash took place during bad flight weather. The airplane came from direction Herford (NorthEast). The machine is to have belonged to the American army, however in the same days also 2 gliders in the proximity of the accident scene were seen.

Bielefeld was liberated by the US 9th Army. Here are the american Troops at the Teutoburg Forest in these days:
The ranges of the following corps were separated by the Autobahn:
19. US-Korps (GenMajor McCain) und das 13. US-Korps (GenMajor Gillun jr.)

19. Korps: 102. and 84. US-Infantry Division in Support by 5. US-Armored Division.

13. Korps: 30. and 83. US-Infantry Division in Support by 2. US-Armored Division - The famous "Hells on Wheels".

The Autobahn-Area near Laemershagen was a support-place for the fights in Oerlinghausen and in Augustdorf at the Doeren-Ravine (Doerenschlucht) of the 13.Corps. (Ruhrpocket closing at Lippstadt and the Killing of General Rose at Paderborn were only 15 miles from the crash place).

Thereby also in small number paratroopers were used. In Oerlinghausen was a Luftwaffe-base of german night fighters. The paratroopers did not behave however as in the fight. It seems to have been training in proximity of the front. The unit is unknown, of course the range of the Autobahn for Germans there was closed in these days.

Sorry for my rough english ....

Can somebody say something to me to this procedure?

THXs

Henschel