Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 2nd August 2009, 18:15

Rolfeb is on a distinguished road
Searching for Claim Report

Dear friends of this forum,

during last weeks I tried to get a specific claim report fron the National Archive in the US but received the responce that this claim report is not available in the Military Archive and no I asking all the members whether somebody can provide it. I'm looking for a claim report of
Lt. Theodore W. Sedvert - 353rd FS, 354th FG. He shot down a Messerschmitt at March 2nd 1945.
Thanks in advance for your help

Rolfeb
Old 2nd August 2009, 19:44
Alter Hase

Frank Olynyk is on a distinguished road
Re: Searching for Claim Report

Combat reports for 9th Air Force are difficult to locate. There is no central collection, unlike 8th Fighter Command. In so far as they can be found, they are scattered between the National Archives in College Park, and the USAF Historical Research Agency at Maxwell AFB. Of the three squadrons in the 354th FG only the 356th FS has a complete collection at College Park. I have never found a combat report for Sedvert's Me-262 on March 2 (at 0915 hours, S of Dilligen (Y-1599), while flying the P-51 coded FT-gamma). Sources are the 19TAC VCB report #60; Oprep 577: and the 353rd Mission Schedules.

Frank.
Old 3rd August 2009, 09:24

Peter Kassak is on a distinguished road

Rolfeb,

this is what I found while preparing my book:
" Encounters between 9th AF Mustangs and Me262s were also becoming more and more frequent. In the morning Capt. James P. Keane led a formation of 16 P-51s to the Dieburg area. For the 353 FS this was the first operation during March. The fighter sweep resulted in four damaged and one destroyed locomotive and 66 damaged railway cars of various kinds. During the mission, at 09.15 Lt Cary announced over the radio a train south of Dillingen. 1/Lt Theodore W. Sedvert from the 353 FS 354 FG dived in his P-51 to attack the locomotive. But as soon as he emerged from clouds, much to his surprise he saw an Me262 flying ahead and below. From his superior height he held behind the enemy and with one three-second burst hit the Messerschmitt’s fuselage, starboard engine, and cockpit area. The pilot of the Messerschmitt dropped his canopy, but due to the low altitude the German pilot was not able to bale out. He decided to force-land, but upon touch-down the damaged machine exploded, killing the pilot. On 2 March 1945 the Luftwaffe lost in that area Me262A-1a W.Nr.110655 from I/EKG(J) 1, and its pilot Ofhr. Horst Metzbrand was killed. It seems certain that it was Ofhr. Metzbrand who fell prey to Lt Sedvert. The leader of the sweep, Capt. James P. Keane, claimed destruction of a German Fw44 at 10.00 in the area of Illesheim aerodrome. German records mentioned the loss of the Fw44 W.Nr.2953 from I/EKG (J), but the name and fate of the pilot is not known."

http://mmpbooks.biz/mmp/books.php?book_id=40

regards

also: Zerstorer Research Work Group,
"Geschichte des Zerstörergeschwader 76"
Old 9th August 2009, 16:03

Rolfeb is on a distinguished road

Thank a lot for your help.
Does anybody know if Theodore W. Sedvert is still alive?

Thanks
Rolfeb
Old 10th August 2009, 10:50

markjsheppard is an unknown quantity at this point

Afraid not.

The deaths over the last 10 years have accumulated drastically.

Theodore W Sedvert 14 Mar 1921 6 Oct 1997 Arlington National Cemetery VA
Lt Col - WWII/Korea/Vietnam.

regards

MS