Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 11th August 2007, 03:17

Tom Semenza
Willi Strübing - NSFK Ace?

I just finished reading Don Caldwell's excellent new book "The Luftwaffe Over Germany." I was intrigued by a passage regarding the downing of a 408 RCAF Squadron Halifax flown by F/O K. Blyth during a daylight mission on 31 March 1945 as follows:

A document was produced crediting the victory to Sturmführer Willi Strübing, an instructor in the NSFK. The 53-year-old Strübing had been too old to join the Luftwaffe, but his Nazi supervisors allowed him to fly independent missions from his Buchen base in his Me 262. Blyth's Halifax was his 23rd claim. (my emphasis) Strübing's commander nominated him for a Knight's Cross, but the application went nowhere. . .

Can anyone shed more light on the this unusual career. Perhaps Don Caldwell has more information on this pilot.

Tom
Old 14th August 2007, 19:39
He who rules the forum...

Ruy Horta has disabled reputation
Re: Willi Strübing - NSFK Ace?

Subject interests me as well, so here's a bump.

And now I see with eye serene
The very pulse of the machine;
A being breathing thoughtful breath,
A traveller between life and death;
Old 14th August 2007, 20:48

Hans Mcilveen

Very interesting. Also, I remember reading something about a Volksturmnachtschlachtstaffel formed by Gauleiter Koch in the east in 1945. Equipped with Heinkel biplanes. Does anybody know more about this?

Hans
Old 15th August 2007, 13:21

Primoz

Well, a similar question about Strübing was published in Jet & Prop a while ago but I don't know if they got any answers. If I remember correctly, he scored two victories with the 262.
Old 26th October 2007, 19:12

Don Caldwell

My sources for Struebing are Ken Blyth's two books, as referenced in my book, and some follow-up correspondence with Ken. I used essentially all of my info on Struebing in the book. I consider it reliable because of its source and how Blyth uncovered it in S.'s nephew's files. Blyth's second book includes an NSFK shootdown report and victory confirmation, the first such document I've ever seen.

Horrido!

Don