Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 29th June 2014, 00:01

andlug is on a distinguished road
Timing and scope of Bodenplatte

I am really curious about why Bodenplatte was not launched before January 1st.

Originally, the idea was to support the launch of 'Wacht am Rhein' with a massive airstrike. However, the foggy weather on December 16th did not permit that.

But later, the weather cleared FROM THE EAST, giving good conditions on 23rd December, and also giving the potential advantage to the Luftwaffe, as the Germans could see the progress of the weather front BEFORE the Allies.

A strike launched then would have had a considerable impact on the Allied tactical air support.

A related question is: why choose so many British airfields, when the main adversary was the US Army?

Most of the discussions I have seen are very specific, on individual aircraft, so I hope someone can shed light on these strategic questions,

Thanks

Andrew Dlugolecki
Old 29th June 2014, 11:21

Steve Coates will become famous soon enoughSteve Coates will become famous soon enough
Re: Timing and scope of Bodenplatte

A while back, I put up copies of some documents I'd found at the PRO on LEMB - http://www.luftwaffe-experten.org/fo...hl=bodenplatte

I'm not saying these will necessarily answer all your questions but they may help a little.
Old 29th June 2014, 23:42

Hello Steve,

I tried to follow the link, but it does not work for me.

So then I joined the luftwaffe-experten discussion forum and searched there under bodenplatte and under your name for a couple of hours but could find no trace.

Can you be more specific , or re-post the files?

Sorry to be a pain,

Andrew
Old 30th June 2014, 18:19
Super Moderator

John Beaman is an unknown quantity at this point

Andrew,

I suggest you look under our forum, entitled, Books, and you will see a permanent link to John Manrho's definitive book, "Bodenplatte", published a few years ago. The link was intended to discuss the contents of John's book. He is a member here.
Old 30th June 2014, 19:08

Steve Coates will become famous soon enoughSteve Coates will become famous soon enough

Andrew

Link works fine for me. Go to LEMB and type in Bodenplatte as your search term. That should get you there.
Old 30th June 2014, 23:25

Sorry guys, but none of that helps.

John, the stuff on John Marho's book is all high-level or errata. I have the book, which is excellent on detail, and puts the record straight on the actual scale of losses, and the causes. BUT it does not say much on the background or planning.

Steve, I did what you said, and got a search list of 49 discussions in LEMB relating to Bodenplatte in some way, but none of them seem to relate to interviews with German experts.

Andrew
Old 1st July 2014, 09:31

Andy - at least one of the documents I put up is an evaluation of the indications of the planning behind Bodenplatte as picked up from Ultra. I don't know that it will answer all your questions but it has to be better to have it than not. If you do want it, PM me with your e-mail address and I will send it to you.
Old 1st July 2014, 23:50

Steve,
Thanks for your attention. I am at andlug@hotmail.com.

it's annoying how research can be sometimes, but great how helpful some people are!

Andrew