Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 11th October 2009, 04:07
Alter Hase

edwest is an unknown quantity at this point
Fw 190 Dora, Volume Two

Scheduled for November 9:

http://www.eagle-editions.com/dorabook2.htm

400 all color pages? How is that possible?

Usual disclaimer,
Ed
Old 11th October 2009, 05:40

Dan O'Connell will become famous soon enough
Re: Fw 190 Dora, Volume Two

$95??????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????
Old 11th October 2009, 10:11

Peter D Evans is on a distinguished road

Rather than the usual white pages with black text, if this second volume is anything like the first, then expect various coloured pages with a splattering of b/w photos, colour profiles etc... as for the cost, $137.50 delivered to the UK... expensive, sure, but if its anywhere near as good as the first volume, then I'll be happy

Cheers
Peter D Evans
LEMB Administrator
Old 11th October 2009, 21:46
Alter Hase

edwest is an unknown quantity at this point

At 9 x 12 inches and 400 pages, even I'm considering getting a copy.

Ed
Old 11th October 2009, 23:07

Jerry Crandall

Hi guys;
Thank you for your interest in our Dora Vol. Two. Peter is right, the format as far as the color splashes in Dora 2 are about the same as Dora 1. All color is sprinkled throughout, not just in one area.
Unfortunately the costs to produce books like this have increased dramatically, for instance the paper went up 20% since the Dora 1 as did the cost to print and the transportation. Also, there are 344 pages in Dora One as compared to 400 pages in Dora Two, which reflects the cost increase as well.
We've done everything we can to keep the quality up and the costs down. We have received our advance copies and they really are beautiful!
thanks again, cheers,
Judy
Eagle Editions Ltd.
Old 12th October 2009, 09:48
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan O'Connell View Post
$95??????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????
But it's got Me 262s in it, Dan ...
Old 12th October 2009, 10:20

Dan O'Connell will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Beale View Post
But it's got Me 262s in it, Dan ...

SOLD!
Old 12th October 2009, 14:52
He who rules the forum...

Ruy Horta has disabled reputation

Any european distributor?

The shipping (and tax) makes getting a copy from the publisher less attractive, even at the relatively low US $ rate. The fact that my last two shipments (using mailbags) didn't survive without some bumps makes me twice less enthusiastic about "importing".

Good news non-the-less!

And now I see with eye serene
The very pulse of the machine;
A being breathing thoughtful breath,
A traveller between life and death;
Old 12th October 2009, 18:28

Peter D Evans is on a distinguished road

Helion & Company here in the UK stock a vast majority of their old and new catalogue and the two versions of the second Dora volumes are listed at £71.96 and £121.50 respectively. More details from here and here...

Cheers
Peter D Evans
LEMB Administrator
Old 13th October 2009, 03:11

WEISNER is on a distinguished road

Title, "The Focke-Wulf Fw 190 Dora, Volume Two Fw 190 D-9 D-11 D-13"
Author Jerry Crandall
Forward by Doug Champlin
Published by Eagle-Editions Ltd.
ISBN 0-9794035-1-0 978-0-9794035-1-4 Standard Edition
ISBN 0-9794035-2-9 978-0-9794035-2-1 Deluxe, Leather bound, limited edition signed by Four Luftwaffe pilots including Karl Puett (Pütt), Gerhard Wolff, Willi Reschke And General Günther Rall.

Well Gang, Jerry has done it again! In a big way, A couple weeks ago I received one of Two Hand Bound copies. This book is Heavy and printed on the usual high quality paper and runs a total of 400 pages, 66 more than Vol I. The layout is much the same as Vol I, all photos are large and clear showing details very well with excellent captions. Many New photos are included with many color profiles showing these new Doras! There is a Total of 377 photos including 76 color images of Doras!
As for the Price! This book is well worth the admission fee, A family night at the Movies with a cheap dinner (Mcdonalds) after would be about the same cost... and over in 3 hours! You will find Hours of enjoyment reading this and find Yourself going back to it often!
Here is a brief shakedown.

Chapter one: Focke-Wulf Fw 190 D-11. 38 pages, Included is new information and new photos of D-11's, Original performance test reports, Also there are four color profile sections regarding D-11's shown in the photos. A Focke-Wulf Document describing the D-11 is included as are extensive test reports for the D-11, D-12, D-13 with Jumo 213 f engine, also a Summary of Testing report With Great Performance specifications etc.

Chapter two: Doras of the Galland Circus, 66 pages. This includes some very interesting new photos of the newly discovered missing fifth JV 44 Dora, D-11 Red 2! Jerry has really done His homework on this and also has discovered New photos of get this! Galland's JV 44 Me 262! Included is a first hand story written By Galland's Crew Chief, Two photos and color profiles of the Me 262! This Chapter of the book is a must have for Fan's of these colorful Doras!

Chapter Three: Additional Doras and Units. 22 pages of various Doras including Hans-Ulrich Rudel's Dora-9 and a First hand account from Gerhard Wolff of III./SG 1. Also Doras of II./SG 10 and III./KG(J) 27. Also captured Doras can be found in this chapter.

Chapter Four: Unit Unknown or Unassigned, 26 pages of More unknown Doras with some new photos, and photos of Doras during build at Fieseler, Focke Wulf's factory complex and other Factories.

Chapter Five: 33 pages full of info on R4M rockets, 21 cm Wurfgranate rockets and other weapons systems. Of great interest is the First hand accounts of two surviving veterans of JGr.10! The story told is excellent as are the accompanying photos. This is a great chapter.

Chapter Six: Selected Parts, 18 pages. This chapter deals with Dora parts with excellent sections on Landing Gear, D-9, D-11 and D-13 Propellers, Canopy type evolution and much more. great photos and profiles in this section.

Chapter Seven: Problems and Complaints, 11 pages. This chapter deals with Problems from Factory to Flight, and includes many Technical reports and Pilot first hand problems and the resulting Modifications made to correct concerns with the Doras.

Chapter Eight: Yellow 10 and Friends: 65 pages. What can I say, Jerry Crandall know's more about Yellow 10 than perhaps anyone alive! Included among the complete story of this D-13 are many photos, from the Back Yard where is was found in 1965 through the complete restoration at Gosshawk Unlimited Inc. and transfer to Seattle's Museum of Flight, And the final move to Paul Allen's Flying Heritage collection. There is in this chapter a Digital Color Analysis of Yellow 10, setting the story straight on the Camouflage colors. many will find of great interest! Excellent color profiles and more in this chapter!

Chapter Nine: Paint, Color & Markings, 53 pages. The title of this chapter really say's it all! There are Descriptions and analysis of RLM colors using Pieces from Crashed AC for many colors in this chapter. Warnecke and Böhm's existing original RLM paint formulas and much more. The section on Markings is detailed and has color profiles showing all, Also Color & Markings by Factory will be shown using great profiles with detailed descriptions of each Factories Marking size and location on AC. A Must have section for Modelers!

Chapter Ten: Recoveries. 8 pages. Information on Each Dora recovered including Stories of Recovery, Markings on AC, Pilot and Unit if known and much more.

Chapter Eleven: Captured on Film Update, 23 pages. After Publication of Vol I, Additional information and photos surfaced, This material is published in this chapter. New photos are shown in this chapter with additional new information added. Nice color profiles included.

Appendices, 23 pages. This includes Pilot comments and handling characteristics, Gun Sight info, Data plates, Official Focke-Wulf Factory description of the D-9 fighter and a HUGE Numerical Dora Werknummer Listing with Losses! Also Top Speeds for the Fw190 Dora Aircraft, Notes on production figures and excellent Scale Drawings of the D-13 By Koichiro Abe.

Bibliography, Selected partial list of included documents, Index and last an Addendum and Errata for Fw190 Dora Volume one and on the last page #400 are Three last Minute Arrival Photos.

I know You all will really Enjoy this book when In hand!!! and You will have a hard time putting it Down! I hope this review was helpful!
Best Regards!

Kevin Weisner