Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 8th December 2009, 23:17

Big Chudy is on a distinguished road
Angry Nose-Art & Personal Markings

Are there any sites that have personal markings for Luftwaffe aircraft?

Thanks,
Andrew

Last edited by Big Chudy; 9th December 2009 at 05:00.
Old 10th December 2009, 18:10
Alter Hase

Leo Etgen is on a distinguished road
Nose-Art & Personal Markings

Hello Andrew

Regarding nose art and personal markings of the Luftwaffe, I can not think of any web site that would have these except perhaps Claes Sundin's web site when they would be included on the aircraft he profiles. http://luftwaffeinprofile.se/ I may be in error but it is my understanding that Luftwaffe aircraft did not usually have nose art in the same way that the USAAF aircraft often did. As concerns the fighters there were, of course, unit emblems and insignias for various Geschwadern, Gruppen and Staffeln, such as the Buzzard/Falcon of JG 51, the Nürnberg Shield of I./JG 54 and the Mosquito of 9./JG 2. Pilots that had personal markings on their fighters include Priller, Hartmann, Barkhorn, Harder, Beerenbrock, Dahl, Graf, Carganico and Hackl among others. Then you have the well-known "kill markings" usually on the rudder that at times were rather elaborate. Most of these insignias and markings began disappearing from early 1943 due to unit identification purposes by the opposing side. I hope this helps.

Horrido!

Leo
Old 11th December 2009, 00:35

Big Chudy is on a distinguished road
Re: Nose-Art & Personal Markings

Thank you Leo,

This is very helpful indeed.
Old 11th December 2009, 01:08
Alter Hase

Leo Etgen is on a distinguished road
Nose-Art & Personal Markings

Hello Andrew

I am glad that I could be of some help. If you visit Claes Sundin's web site you may notice that he updated the Luftwaffe Fighter Aircraft page with the profile of Bf 109 F-2 "Black <<" (W.Nr. 7629) flown by Hauptmann Hans von Hahn (31 victories, RK), the Gruppenkommandeur of I./JG 3 in July 1941. On the nose you have the Tazelwurm which was the Gruppe insignia of I./JG 3 (redesignated II./JG 1 on 15 January 1942) and under the cockpit there is the rooster emblem that was his personal insignia (Hahn means rooster in German so you can see why he chose that one). http://luftwaffeinprofile.se/vonHahn.html

Horrido!

Leo
Old 11th December 2009, 02:48
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road

Hi ANDREW!
I do not know if you has ever heard about the 2 volumes intittled: "Aircraft of the Luftwaffe Fighter Aces" by Bernd Barbas. It contains a lot of photographs and schemes of camouflage. Both are awesome and I fully recommend...there are some color photographs and artwork also ( profiles ).
See here:http://www.amazon.com/Aircraft-Luftw.../dp/0887407528
I also recomend this site: http://luftwaffeinprofile.se
Hope it will be of help.
Adriano Baumgartner
Old 11th December 2009, 22:37

thenelm is on a distinguished road

There were some fighter units that do seem to regularly have names on the cowls or under the cockpit. Ex. III./JG 3, some elements of JG 1 and there are many other examples from units/aircraft depicted in photos from the various volumes by Prien & friends, Caldwell & Mombeek. It seems a much more common practice than normally believed.
Old 15th December 2009, 02:37
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road

YES, it seems it was a more common practice on the Eastern Front ( I remember seing a lot of JG 52 machines and JG 53 machines with names and even art-work under the cockpit ).
Yours
A.