Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 16th January 2021, 11:59

Mikael Olrog is an unknown quantity at this point
Sonderkommando Schhiphol NJG 1

Knott mentions in her book Princess of Darkness, page 149, a Sonderkommando Schiphol - under the command of Lt. Prinz zur Lippe-Weissenfeld during October 1940. I've not seen reference to this unit/detachment in other books or archive documents. She states that he was posted to 3./NJG 1 but he appears to be flying aircraft with markings from 4th Staffel.

Was the Sonderkommando Schiphol official? And was it subordinated to I./NJG 1 or II./NJG 1?

Was Lt. Prinz zur Lippe-Weissenfeld transfered to 4./NJG 1 from 3./NJG 1? If so, when?

Best regards
/Mikael
Old 16th January 2021, 19:48

TigerTimon is on a distinguished road
Re: Sonderkommando Schhiphol NJG 1

Hello Mikael,

quoting from the Dutch book 'Vliegvelden in Oorlogstijd' (translated):

Under the command of Oberleutnant E. Prinz zur Lippe-Weissenfeld, a Dunkelnachtjagdkommando also operated from Schiphol from October 1940. It was equipped with the Bf 110 and comprised four aircraft crews. Probably in the autumn of 1940 this detachment was transferred to Bergen.

Last year I found the picture attached, of a Bf 110 PRESUMABLY at Schiphol. I am not sure, but as several other pictures provided by the Ebay seller were taken at Schiphol and the building in the background looks familiair with other Schiphol photos, I do think so.

Kind regards,

Timon
Old 16th January 2021, 21:29

Mikael Olrog is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Sonderkommando Schhiphol NJG 1

Thanks Timon!