Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 16th December 2007, 16:11

Boris
Hungarian pilot Lóránt Dóczy

Hi all,
question for Hungarian Air Force experts: Is there any publication and information published about Hungarian aviator – Officer Lóránt Dóczy and his military and air force career (except his activities on April 13, 1944)? Is he still alive?
He should be shown on the attached photo among those wearing hats and goggles. Can anyone identify him?
THX

Old 16th December 2007, 17:08
Alter Hase

Dénes Bernád will become famous soon enough
Re: Hungarian pilot Lóránt Dóczy

I will have to check my references for details on Dóczy's career. All I remember right now is that he was a rather famous sports flyer in the inter-war period and after he was a teacher and researcher at the RKI (Air Research Institute) in Budapest. He was then shot down with his Me 210Ca-1 during the USAAF aerial attack against Hungary of 13 April 1944. He belly landed his stricken mount and survived.

Right now what I can tell you is that HA-AAI was the quite famous Hungarian-designed Bánhidi 'Gerle 13'.
A full-scale replica of this aircraft is exhibited at the Közlekedési Múzeum (Museum of Transportation) in Budapest:
http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1008919/

Last edited by Dénes Bernád; 16th December 2007 at 18:05.
Old 20th December 2007, 22:07

Csaba B. Stenge is on a distinguished road

Boris,

He was not a sport flyer, but a military one. He was born in 1905 and graduated in the military academy as an artillery officer in 1927. He got his flying training from 1930 and later graduated in the Technical University as well and became an engineer. He was the founder and commander of the RKI (as a strong and very talented officer). After the war he went to Canada and passed away in Montreal in 1978.

Seems to me that he is the second pilot from right (it is not 100% sure).
Old 27th December 2007, 01:10

lhamodb is on a distinguished road

Hello to all, this is my first post. I read the above post with disbelief because my uncle was Doczy Laszlo, an engineer with MAORT the Hungarian American Oil Company (Standard Oil) before the war, but he was also a pilot in WW2. According to the family legend, he flew on the Don front with Horthy Istvan and was shot down in 1944 while piloting a Messerschmidt suffering severe hand and leg wounds. He was left with a hole in hand and was retired back to MAORT and died in Sept. 1944 of peritonitis as a complication of colorectal cancer in Budapest, and was interred at Hegyeshalom Hungary.

My question is this, were there two Doczy's, an old noble but relatively uncommon name, both military academy graduates and engineers who became pilots in the inter-war period, both getting shot down in 1944? I have always wondered if Lóránt/Loránd was not Laszlo's formal name? He was also called Geza....a middle name perhaps.

Laszlo's brother was Doczy Sandor, they were born in Tiszakurt/Cserkeszolo. Sandor was a Huszar with the K.u.K. 7th Kaiser Wilhelm II Huszar Regiment. He captured in Russia 1914. He earned the nagy ezüst erem /large silver bavery medal, was interned at Vladivostok, walking home from 1919 to 1921. His son, Doczy Sandor (Jr) was with the 3rd Battalion (Csegled) 2 Armored Division, and he suffered a severe head wound in Galacia, was captured in Austria and sent to Siberia returning in late 1947. He died at 40 of lung cancer.

I have a picture of my mother, Sandor's daughter and Laszlo's niece wearing Laszlo's főhadnagy uniform with 2 of 3 campaign medals from 1939-41....the picture is black and white so I cant tell by the ribbon color which they were though my mother thinks he served in all 3.

And does this also fit into the puzzle, "DÓCZY LÁSZLÓ (33 anjus): v. főhadnagy, a Margit körúti Katonai Bíróság hűtlenség, kémkedés vádjával halálra ítélte és az ítéletet 1950. július 12-én ugyanott végrehajtották"?

BTW, if these two people are one and the same, then the 8th aviator from the left, medium tall with googles standing squre to the photographer appears like Laszlo. he had black combed back hair that had prematurely turned white by 1944 like his brother's, and ice blue eyes.

Steve Doczy-Bordi

Last edited by lhamodb; 28th December 2007 at 21:04. Reason: Correcting grammar and spelling
Old 26th May 2010, 10:51

akdoczy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
Hi all,
question for Hungarian Air Force experts: Is there any publication and information published about Hungarian aviator – Officer Lóránt Dóczy and his military and air force career (except his activities on April 13, 1944)? Is he still alive?
He should be shown on the attached photo among those wearing hats and goggles. Can anyone identify him?
THX

Hello Boris,

Well I am not a Hungarian Airforce expert, but I am Lorand Doczy's granddaughter. My grandfather passed away more than 35 years ago, but I recognized him immediately (in fact I remember putting on his goggles and leather hat, I think my Dad still has them).

Lorand Doczy is the third man from the right, wearing long pants (and his signature charming smile). I have a photo of him with my grandmother taken at about the same time.

May I inquire what you are researching this for?

Alexandra Doczy

you can view a photo of him taken in 1964 at http://www.ststephensball.com/englis...n/chairmen.htm
Old 26th May 2010, 12:20

lilsis is on a distinguished road

Another pic from him ?!:

http://picasaweb.google.com/sarolta....34101904633474
Old 27th May 2010, 05:40

akdoczy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsis View Post
Wow lilsis! Thank you so much for your post! those are all pics of my family, how do you happen to have them?

Alexandra