Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 31st January 2008, 15:59

Ian Warner is on a distinguished road
Escape from Mk111 Boston

Hi

Can anyone help me with the crew’s entry/exit points in a Mk 111 Boston?
I assume the A/Gunner and W/O entered via the rear lower gun port and the pilot via the cockpit itself. Did the Navigator enter via the rear of the aircraft or did he have a hatch in the nose?

Also, does anyone know the procedure for an emergency exit? I have read that the pilot could only escape via the open cockpit but because this put him in front and slightly above the engines the W/O had to manoeuvre the plane to allow the pilot a clear escape. Is this true and if so how was it done? Also, how did the rest of the crew escape? Was the Navigator similarly at risk from the engines?

Many Thanks

Ian
Old 31st January 2008, 21:04

kurlannaiskos
Re: Escape from MK III Boston

Hello , Ian
first off a little correction - that is not 111 it is III (Roman Numerals for the number Three) (Boston Mark Three not 'one hundred and eleven')

the Bombardier had a hatch in the bottom of the nose (with a step-ladder) for entry and exit when on the ground.
there was also a small escape hatch at the top for bailout and exit after a belly-landing.

the rear gunner had an access point with the .30 cal gun in the aft rear fuselage (seldom used by the USAAF but often used by the RAF and VVS) where he could enter and exit when the plane was parked. I imagine if need be he could simple jump out the gun opening for bailing out.

if you need photos let me know and I can find some for you.
Old 4th February 2008, 20:06

Ian Warner is on a distinguished road
Re: Escape from Mk111 Boston

Thanks kurlannaiskos, that helps me a bit. Would I be right in assuming that there was no access to the cockpit from within the aircraft itself?

I would appreciate any photographs that you think would help, thanks.

Ian