Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Pre-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation

Pre-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation Please use this forum to discuss Military and Naval Aviation before the Second World War.

Old 15th September 2009, 20:00

Bruce Dennis is on a distinguished road
Spanish Civil War aircraft v. ship

I understand that an aircraft was lost to anti-aircraft fire from a ship during the Spanish Civil War: it is likely a German ship, but that is not definite. Can anyone add any details?

Thanks,
Bruce
Old 18th September 2009, 13:51
Alter Hase

Nokose will become famous soon enough
Re: Spanish Civil War aircraft v. ship

24May1937 (Palma) The H.M.S. Hardy (Destroyer) fired defensive fire at Red aircraft but have no more on the incident. The German "Pocket" Battleship Deutschland was hit there on the 29th by three bombs of two aircraft attacking out of the sun resulting in a number of KIA and WIA. I believe I read something one time about aircraft being shot down in this incident but can not be sure with the information I have now.
Old 18th September 2009, 23:20

Bruce Dennis is on a distinguished road

Thanks, Nokose, the Deutschland incident fits the information I was given. I will look into it further and post the answer if I find more.

Regards,
Bruce
Old 19th September 2009, 08:17

Michal

There are many

Acording to Soviet Sources:

May 24 1937

8 SB-2 took off morning from Valencia A/F. Three of them as first wave bombed from altitude 3000 m three military ship in Port Palma, two of them of type Canarias and one of them unidentified ship. Hits on two type Canarias ships. One SB-2 bombed Military Area in Palma. 5 SB-2 of second wave bombed third type Canarias Cruiser, anchoraged about 800 meters from ships attacked by first wave. No hits. Very intense AAA, 5 Breda Ba-65 Fighters tried to unsucesfully attack bombers. No losses on Soviet Side.