Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 17th July 2006, 20:48

Jochen Prien is on a distinguished road
Loss of 1./JG 5 on April 30th, 1943

Gentlemen,

on April 30th, 1943, 1./JG 5 reported the loss of Fw. Hubert Schaub in a Bf 109 G-2, WerkNr. 13 572, "white 10", west of Alesund off the Norwegian coast; there are however discrepancies as to the cause of his loss. Some sources state that he was lost in aerial combat without giving any details, others say that the cause was unknown.

I have so far found no evidence of an aerial combat but I readily admit that my sources covering the "opposite side" are rather sketchy; therefore - can anybody out there enlighten me as to the cause of this loss ? Any help will be gratefully appreciated.

Regards

Jochen Prien
Old 18th July 2006, 11:06
Alter Hase

Andreas Brekken is on a distinguished road
Re: Loss of 1./JG 5 on April 30th, 1943

Hi, Jochen

I have read through what I have on this, and in my opinion there is nothing from the german side that indicates that this crash was a result of enemy action.

1. GenQu6Abt report just states that the loss reason was not reported.

2. The Summarische Verlustemeldungen puts the loss in category 20 (total loss on operational flight with no enemy action causing the loss)

3. In the Namentliche Verlustemeldung the more or less laconic entry by the Gruppenkommandeur says that "Fw. Schaub stürzte während des Geleitschutzes ab. Nach Angaben von Augenzeugen Absturz und Aufschlagbrand ('auf Wasser' added in pencil note). Leiche wurde nicht gefunden."

I will check my references with regards to the naval operations (these are on my server at home), and come back if I find something that indicates otherwise.

Regards,
Andreas
Old 18th July 2006, 12:51

Jochen Prien is on a distinguished road
Re: Loss of 1./JG 5 on April 30th, 1943

Dear Andreas,

that is exactly what I wanted to hear. No enemy action, no Luftkampf. Thanks a lot.

Cheers

Jochen