Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 15th May 2013, 05:18

Flyinmick is on a distinguished road
Ju87 loss over Biggin Hill on February 5th, 1941

Hi,
On February 5th, 1941, a Ju87, which was engaged in an apparently solo attack on shipping, was chased inland by members of 92 Sqn. This aircraft was shot down directly over RAF Biggin Hill. It crashed just outside the airfield boundary and both crew members were killed. This event is described as follows:

On another convoy patrol on the 5th, Pilot Officer Sam Saunders, the formation leader was startled to see one of the ships explode; his first thought was that it must have struck a mine but then, to his amazement, he saw one lone Stuka low on the water heading for France. He and the other three dived to the attack and the German pilot, seeing the Spitfires after him, turned and made for Manston presumably to give himself up, as he had no hope of survival in a fight.
The night before this episode some of the officers had been saying that if they brought down a German in one piece the thing to do would be to take him to the Mess and entertain him before bundling him off to a POW camp. The CO overheard this and he didn’t feel that there was any place for the chivalry displayed in the First World War and he gave the boys a little lecture on the reasons they were there, these being firstly to defend the country and secondly to kill as many of the enemy as possible. They learned their lesson very well as the CO later recalled.
“Having been on the first patrol of the morning, I had been back to the Mess for breakfast and was just returning to Dispersal when I heard gunfire. I stopped the car and got out to stare in amazement at the sight of one lone Stuka weaving madly in an attempt to avoid the attentions of four Spitfires. All five were coming towards me and it occurred to me that I was in the line of fire so I hid behind a vehicle that was handy. Then I saw a notice on it reading: 100 Octane – it was one of the refuelling bowsers. So I darted back to my car! Just as I reached it the Stuka reached the edge of the airfield almost directly above me at about a hundred feet. Here he was headed off by one of the Spitfires and I could clearly see both gunner and pilot in their cockpits with the De Wilde ammunition bursting around them. The Spitfire overshot and pulled away and the German made another desperate attempt to land and turned violently to port but at this instant Pilot Officer Fokes, in my aeroplane, flashed past me and gave a short burst with the cannons. I can still hear the thump-thump-thump of them followed by the terrific whoosh as the Stuka blew up and crashed just outside the boundary of the airfield

Does anyone know who the crew members were and the location of the crash site?
Thanks!
Old 15th May 2013, 05:34

G.R.Morrison
Re: Ju87 loss over Biggin Hill on February 5th, 1941

Ju 87B-1 WNr.5225, coded J9+BK, lost 5.Feb. 1941

Crew of Ltn. Ernst Schimmelpfennig & Bf Ogefr. Hans Kaden of 7./St.G. 1 were both KIA in Luftkampf with Spitfires from 92 Sq. (S/L Kent), near Manston.

This machine belonged to 8./St.G. 1 (the III/St.G. 1 had continued using Staffel indicators associated with a I Gruppe: H, K, L; the II/St.G. 1, which used the "6G" continued to use Staffel indicators that 'should' belong to a III Gruppe: R, S, T for their 4., 5. 6. Staffeln. Confused yet?).

GRM
Old 15th May 2013, 06:01

Wow!! That was fast!! Do you know where the unfortunate Ernst and Hans crashed?
Also, there was some speculation as to whether or not their attack was a solo effort. Any information about that?
Thanks!
Old 15th May 2013, 06:06
Alter Hase

Melvin Brownless is on a distinguished road

Hi, Extracted from Air Intelligence A.I.(g) Report held at the NA....
Best wishes,
Melvin
www.aircrewremembrancesociety.co.uk
09.50 hrs.
Ju 87 B-1 5225 J9+BK 2/StG 1
Cheesemans Farm, Birchington Road, Minster, Kent. R.7685.
Started from St Pol, Dunkirk, to bomb a convoy in the Thames Estuary. This aircraft was brought down through fighter action at 3,000 ft; caught fire in the air and dived into the ground at high speed. The aircraft was entirely destroyed and a large number of bullet strikes were traced in the wreckage. Markings: B in black, outlined in white. The tail components were made by Flugseugeau-Unterwaser in May 1939. Engine: Jumo 211A, building series 3. Werke no. 45787. Three bladed airscrew of Junkers type, constant speed. Armament: two MG 17 in the wings; one MG 15 was fitted in the dorsal position but had fallen off during combat. A bomb rack for a 250 kg or 500 kg bomb was fitted under the fuselage and racks for 250 kg bombs under each wing. Armour; the bucket of the pilot's seat and the back was protected with 8 mm thick plates but no side flaps were fitted. A cross plate 10 mm thick was found in the wreckage which was probably the rear gunner's protection. A Revi gun sight was fitted.
Pilot: Lt Ernst Schimmelpfennig + W/T: Ogefr Hans Kaden +
Old 15th May 2013, 06:38

Wow! Again!!
So, this obviously took place over RAF Manston. How interesting that his memory was a bit off. He remembered the details but got he location wrong.
Thanks so very much for being so very detailed. This was the only Stuka sighted. Was this a solo effort?
Cheers!
Old 16th May 2013, 16:25

ahafan is on a distinguished road

Hi
And the very last stuka to be bought down on english soil too.
if you exsempt the night attacks.
sharon