Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 5th July 2016, 14:31
adski42

Nahaufklärungsgruppe 6

I'm new on here and I was hoping someone would be able to help. I'm researching my uncle, Flt. Lt Neill Cox RAF, and I understand he shared the kill of a ME 262 on 15th April 1945 near Kaltenkirchen airfield. I think I know the unit of the ME 262 - 1. Staffel Nahaufklärungsgruppe 6 - but I'm stumped when it comes to finding out more.

Are there Luftwaffe equivalents of the RAF ORBs that are searchable? If so, where?

I'd ideally like to find out as much as possible about the aircraft my uncle shot down - pilot, serial no., confirmation that I've got the right unit(!) - that kind fo thing.

Any help would be much appreciated!
Old 5th July 2016, 17:31
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about
Re: Nahaufklärungsgruppe 6

Apparently their "Me 262" turned out to be an Ar 234 once the gun-camera film was examined. The likely units for such an aircraft are III./KG 76 (bombers) or 1.(F)/123 (reconnaissance) both of which were operating over northern Germany at the time. With luck, someone here will know more

To answer your other question, surviving War Diaries of Luftwaffe units are extremely rare, unfortunately. Most of their documentation was destroyed at the end of the war and much of what researchers have established, e.g. for books on the history of a unit, has been pieced together from all kinds of different sources.
Old 5th July 2016, 22:01
adski42

Thanks for that - I guessed that'd be the case re the ORBs.

Can I ask where you heard about the AR234s? The combat reports and ORB are v specific about it being an ME262 (multiple witnesses), but if you've found another source I'd be all ears!
Old 6th July 2016, 10:04
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by adski42 View Post
Thanks for that - I guessed that'd be the case re the ORBs.

Can I ask where you heard about the AR234s?
It's in "2nd Tactical Air Force. Vol. 3" by Chris Thomas and Christopher Shores (Classic Publications).

An Me 262 is not impossible of course, but there certainly were Ar 234s operating from Kaltenkirchen at the time and there are other cases of pilots claiming an Me 262 when they'd actually got an Arado.
Old 7th July 2016, 14:52
adski42

Perfect, thanks for that. Of course its possible that the combat reports were mistaken, but an ME 262 and an AR234 look very different and then attack was at comparatively slow speed. Certainly worth find out more, though. Thanks!
Old 7th July 2016, 17:22
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by adski42 View Post
an ME 262 and an AR234 look very different and then attack was at comparatively slow speed.
One might think so, but see for example the combat report of F/L Audet RCAF in similar circumstances: http://www.ghostbombers.com/recon/23...z/goetz11.html

... or the first Ar 234 captured by the Allies, claimed as an Me 262 by Lt. David B. Fox USAAF

Last edited by Nick Beale; 7th July 2016 at 21:58. Reason: Fixed an incorrect link
Old 7th July 2016, 17:37

Stephen M. Fochuk is on a distinguished road

Also to add, what the intelligence had on the two aircraft at the time, left much to be desired, which probably added to more of the confusion.

For some reason Nick, I cannot get your link to work. Does it work for anyone else?

Stephen
Old 7th July 2016, 18:56
Alter Hase

ouidjat is on a distinguished road

Doesn't work for me too ... but the very link is the following:

http://www.ghostbombers.com/recon/23...z/goetz11.html
I.e. Goetz page 11 of "Kommando Götz"

Regards, Franck.
Old 7th July 2016, 22:00
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen M. Fochuk View Post
For some reason Nick, I cannot get your link to work.
Stephen
Because it was the file location on my computer rather than the web address. Sorry! It's fixed now.

Tags
1945, kaltenkirchen, me262