Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 7th April 2010, 11:11
Alter Hase

Brian is on a distinguished road
Air Commodore Arthur Clouston DSO DFC AFC

Hi guys

I've just been re-reading Arthur Clouston's THE DANGEROUS SKIES, and have three questions to ask as a result.

While a test pilot at Farnborough in 1940, he relates how he intercepted and shot down a He111 before probably destroying a Bf110. Can anyone point to a date and his possible victims?

Later (1943?) he took command of 224 Squadron flying Liberators. On an early sortie, one of his air gunners accidentally fired his guns inside the aircraft, wounding the rear gunner. Any further details? Date? Airmen involved?

Later still (1944?) one of 224's flight commanders attacked a submarine with rockets, only to find that it was a French sub and two French mechanics were killed in the attack. Again, date and further details required, please.

Perhaps someone has a copy of 224's ORB? If not, I will do a search when I next visit Kew.

Thanks in advance
Brian
Old 8th April 2010, 12:55
Alter Hase

Leendert will become famous soon enough
Re: Air Commodore Arthur Clouston DSO DFC AFC

Brian,

Some more details on the Minerve FF-incident here: http://www.hmswensleydale.co.uk/1943.htm (just scroll down a bit).

Regards,

Leendert
Old 8th April 2010, 13:18
Alter Hase

Brian is on a distinguished road
Re: Air Commodore Arthur Clouston DSO DFC AFC

Thanks Leendert

I have ordered a copy of Ensor's book so hopefully will find more.

Cheers
Brian