Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 26th August 2008, 16:55

digiartist is on a distinguished road
mystery fw-190

Does anyone know for sure who this Fw-190 belonged to? The photo is from the Kagero Monograph Fw190 book vol 2. I've not seen this picture before and they list the aircraft as belonging to Jg-6. I read somewhere that John Manhro didn't think that was the case but I wonder if anyone knew for sure?
If it wasn't jg-6 then my best guess would be jg-300 judging by the tonal value of the tail bands, they seem too light to be Jg-4 but if it is indeed a Jg-300 machine then I'm surprised it's not in eagle editions Jg-300 volume 2 as they seem to have everything related to the unit pretty well covered.
I suppose a far out possibility is that it could be a Jg-51 aircraft with the never seen before green\white\green bands. Although I'm not sure they were even flying 190s other than doras at the end of the war.
Incidentally I wonder if John has any particular reason to doubt the aircraft is a Jg-6 machine, considering the amount of research he's put into the unit I expect there is a good reason to say it's probably not.
Anyway, thanks in advance to anyone who can help!
Old 26th August 2008, 17:15

Cpt_Farrel is on a distinguished road
Re: mystery fw-190

I don't know any details about this aircraft but II./JG300 tailbands usually appear lighter than that. I'd be interested to know the reasons for John's doubts too as I can't find any visual evidence against it in the photo.

Cheers! / Anders
Old 26th August 2008, 21:27
Alter Hase

John Manrho will become famous soon enough

Well, it seems that I have to answer this one....

I believe I did not say it wasn't an JG 6 aircraft, but I said there is no evidence except for that band if you find that proof enough... The problem is that in Kagero Fw 190 Vol. II three pictures of allegedly JG 6 aircraft are shown. Page 57 (this one) and two on page 60. All belong to the "Schlitter Collection".....btw if anybody knows who that is, please drop me a PM.

Let me explain why I doubt these are JG 6 a/c. First of all the one on page 57 is said to be I./JG 6 at Perleberg. The pictures I have from I./JG 6 at Perleberg do not show RVT bands. The picture at Page 60 top can not be I./JG 6 as this unit did not use an outline on the Kennzeichen. Could be II./JG 6 but I can't see a II. Gruppe bar. The one at page 60 bottom doesn't show any details at all.

So, I am not sure about the credibility of the photo captions of Kagero.

Cheers,

John.
Old 27th August 2008, 16:32

Thanks for your replies Anders and John.

John, do you have any ideas who the 190 belonged to if Jg-6 is an unlikely candidate?
Anders is quite right about jg300 tailbands appearing paler but I've read that not all their aircraft were painted with light blue, some had darker bands.
I'm really interested in this one as if it turns out not to be either jg6, jg4 or jg300 then that leaves some very intriguing possiblities

cheers

Gareth
Old 27th August 2008, 16:42

O.Menu

no JG2 Fw 190A with tailband known as far as i know

JG6 use tailband only for a very very short time, explaining why so less pictured

obviously no JG4

only left JG300, except if source is known for sure to be from jg6 which is doutful.

If you look you will see big shadow which mean sunset or sunrise which is far enough to explain why clear blue appear slighty darker than expected...
Old 27th August 2008, 23:15
Alter Hase

John Manrho will become famous soon enough

From Crashed Enemy Aircraft Reports there is evidence that I./JG 2 flew with Fw 190A-8's with yellow-white-yellow stripes.....don't know if this helps...

John
Old 28th August 2008, 08:36

Thanks John, O.Menu.
wow, I had never heard of Jg-2 190a's at that time, let alone wearing the yellow white yellow bands!
Old 28th August 2008, 09:54

Micke D

Is there really a dark-light-dark colored RVT band on this plane? The dark part of the RVT band and the area behind the fuselage cross is nearly identical in color.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 28th August 2008, 10:58

Micke D, I see what you mean, but if you look at the white band it looks to be the correct width to be the middle part of an RVT band, most 190s I've seen with single bands have a larger width to the band......just a thought :-)
Old 2nd September 2008, 18:34

O.Menu

Ups just to correct myself:

Digiartist, you can forgot JG300 since in this unit the Fw 190 were all in the second group...

> So only left the very rare JG6 but also the not yet pictured JG2 as John Manrho just told us...

Last edited by O.Menu; 2nd September 2008 at 18:40. Reason: bad English :(