Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 29th October 2006, 06:31

Boomerang is on a distinguished road
Process Used to Assign Numbers to Luftwaffe Aircraft Types

Gentlemen:

While not the most significant issue from a military point of view, I have long been curious about the process used to assign numbers to Luftwaffe aircraft types i.e. the '109' in Bf 109, '111' in He 111, etc.

My assumption is that there was some bureaucratic process in the RLM, but I would welcome clarification.

Regards

Boomerang
Old 29th October 2006, 13:36

ArtieBob will become famous soon enough
Re: Process Used to Assign Numbers to Luftwaffe Aircraft Types

All powered aircraft ( and a few combat gliders) were assigned sequential numbers from on a master list, the "8 Nummer". Also assiged by the RLM were two character abreviations, the first upper case, the second lower case. There was also a similar list for engines, etc. In correspondence, at times the aircraft would be identified as 8-109 or 8-177, instead of Bf 109 or He 177. A hyphen was not used between the alpha characters. As in all things Luftwaffe, there were exceptions to the basic "rules". Blohm and Voss was BV, DFS was three upper case characters. Some numbers were used twice, zb., Bf 163 and Me 163. There is a web site dedicated to assembling a complete 8-Nummer list, I believe it is titled, German Military Aircraft Designations, although the RLM numbers were for both military and civil aircraft.

Best regards

Artie Bob
Old 30th October 2006, 13:26

Boomerang is on a distinguished road
Re: Process Used to Assign Numbers to Luftwaffe Aircraft Types

Hello Artie Bob:

Thanks for your most informative reply. It looks like I will now have something else to chase up on the web!

Regards

Boomerang