Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 23rd March 2009, 02:11

brewerjerry
RAF lightning v whirlwind comparison trials

Hi All,
Anyone know if any comparison trials were carried out between whirlwinds and any of the RAF Mk I lightnings, (AE978, AE 979, AF105, AF106 & AF108 ) ?

I have seen a photo of comparison trials of a whirlwind, F-4 (or maybe F-5) lightning and a mosquito in late '42.

And therefore wondered if something similar happened, in early 42, with the RAF lightnings.

Any pointers to NA/PRO files welcome.
Cheers
Jerry
Old 24th May 2010, 00:04

brewerjerry
Re: RAF lightning v whirlwind comparison trials

Hi All,
Just a bump in the hope of some new info/leads.
cheers
Jerry
Old 24th May 2010, 13:44

SteveB is an unknown quantity at this point

Jerry

In his book "The Secret Years" Tim Mason reports that by the time AF106 arrived at AAEE, Boscombe Down the decision had already been made not to purchase the aircraft so any test and handling trials were essentially academic. The AAEE reports at the National Archives are held in AVIA 18 but the only hit I can get is on "Lockheed 14".

In my experience the only reports on "comparative trials" I have encountered are in the AFDU files. I have got a list of reports submitted to the Air Fighting Committee and it includes "AFDU Report No 56 on tactical and armament trials - Lockheed P-38F". I have spent a fair bit of time in the AFDU report files at Kew and I do not recall seeing this but that does not mean it is not there!

Steve

PS I 'speck it's really nice down Debbin today it's pretty good here in Bristol!
Old 25th May 2010, 02:42

brewerjerry

Hi Steve,
Thanks for the reply and info, I wish that Kew would put more stuff online like the ozzies, I miss Kew, as I understand it the nearest records to me are a five hour flight to eastern canada.
Glad to here it is nice in brizzol, here in the ex colonies, at Vancouver tiz cottonwood time,and I have just found a source for back bacon.
Cheers
Jerry