Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 14th February 2015, 20:03

noggin is on a distinguished road
Raids on Newark on Trent.

I'm after any details on air raids on Newark on Trent Nottinghamshire. ARP reports say 7 raids took place , 5 in early 41. 14/11/40 Parachute land mine on RAF Winthorpe , 27/1/41 Iron works and railway sidings ( 2 fatalities ) 7/3/41 RHP. Any details on these , except RHP much appreciated or any details on the others. TIA.
Old 15th February 2015, 15:22
Super Moderator

John Beaman is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Raids on Newark on Trent.

Have you checked "Blitz" by After the Battle publishers?
Old 15th February 2015, 15:55
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

...and I know you have ordered my 'Luftwaffe's Blitz'
Old 15th February 2015, 16:32

Yes thanks Chris , two mentions in there of my home town. Although the attack on 27/1/41 of Moulders and Pieters by Lt Kurt Dahlmann is at odds with local reports as they have the 30/1/41 and there has never been a Moulders and Pieters in town. Both reports say attack by single raider in the same area dropping the same amount of bombs. Local reports says 2 fatalities as Muskham Road was hit near the Castle Railway station and goods yard. Nicholsons Ironworks was in the area , they produced agricultural machinery and shell casings. Farrah boiler works is also just the other side of the River Trent , they made boilers for the navy. Farrahs have vague references to near misses in raids but no details.

I think this could be the route , if Lt Dalhmann came in following the East Coast main line from Grantham he could have lined up on the church spire for a run directly over Nicholson's Iron works hitting them the goods yard and Muskham Road/Great North Road.

Last edited by noggin; 15th February 2015 at 23:00.
Old 16th February 2015, 19:55
Alter Hase

Sean: Not sure what the question is here. According to my records (and my book) II (not 11)/KG 54 Totenkopf (not Totenkopt) attacked Yeovil that night and it was III/KG 4 that attacked Newark. However, because of the weather, the single He 111 didn't find the bearings factory so bombed a target at Gibraltar Point instead
Old 16th February 2015, 20:47

Yes , sorry misread it.
Old 17th February 2015, 02:05

Bombphoon is on a distinguished road

I take it you have this book?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Battle-Flame...+of+the+flames

The author seems to cover all/most of the Nottinghamshire raids, even if he is a bit finger-pointing judgmental about the local ARP services.
Old 17th February 2015, 08:17

Thanks Bombphoon , just ordered it. Read a little article on the book in the Nottingham Evening Post and that adds a new raid for me. 18/8/40 bomber looking for RHP accidentally bombed Laxton with one fatality.

Last edited by noggin; 17th February 2015 at 17:01.
Old 17th February 2015, 18:00

First Aid Party Air Raid Precautions Service
Killed: Laxton 28th August 1940
At 22:25 hours, six high explosive bombs fell in Laxton along with two large calibre oil incendiary bombs and numerous one kilogram incendiaries. Ruth Willis, was on duty as a member of the Air Raid Precautions Service First Aid Party in Laxton.
She was by her front door at The Old School House in the village when the first bomb fell into her front garden. The shrapnel killed Ruth, and seriously injured two other people from the first aid party who were standing near where their ambulance was parked. Damage was caused to several other houses, farm buildings and the village school.
Old 17th February 2015, 18:55
Alter Hase

The chances of finding out who did this are very small to say the least if that is what you are asking