Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 4th April 2006, 15:22

Kari Lumppio is on a distinguished road
Hugo Dahmer's (1./JG 77) mount Summer 1941

Salut!

Does anyone know what tactical number did wear the Bf 109 E(-7?) flown by Hugo Dahmer during 1941? The Werke Nummer was 968.

Dahmer claimed a lot during the early period of Barbarossa campaign and received Ritterkreuz as the first pilot in the North. For me more important is the fact that he flew from Rovaniemi, Finland during the period.

The info is for possible future modelling project. AFAIK 1./JG 77 wore usually yellow numbers then (Summer-Autumn 1941). I have asked previously the same question at the Norwegian forum without answer and the same goes for literature (Mombeek and Valtonen books) and Internet searches. The answer might be in Dahmer's logbooks if existing.

Thanks in advance,
Kari
Old 4th April 2006, 16:04
Alter Hase

Jim P. will become famous soon enough
Re: Hugo Dahmer's (1./JG 77) mount Summer 1941

According to the Prien team in 'Die Jagdfliegerverbände', VI.2, Dahmer's plane was 'yellow 7' while Carganico, who is usually associated with this machine flew 'white 11'. These are both documented with photos.
Old 4th April 2006, 16:12

Hello!

Jim, thanks for a very speedy answer. I do faintly remember reading somewhere something to that effect ( yellow 7 Dahmer's not Carganico's) but IIRC it was not confirmed. I think we can trust in mr. Prien's research.

Did the "yellow 7" carry the "dog in a diamond" emblem while flown by Dahmer?

Cheers,
Kari
Old 4th April 2006, 17:18

Kjetil Aakra

Ah, how I have wondered about this myself!

This is from memory and I will check more at home, but I do not agree at this time that Dahmer's W.Nr. 968 was Yellow 7. As far as I know there's not any photos linking Yellow 7 with the Werkenumer 968 which features very prominently on Dahmer's Emil, clearly visible in several shots of the tailfin/rudder.

Furthermore, Carganico was photographed extensively in and around Yellow 7 when he received his Ritterkreuz on 25. September 1941. I cannot see why this would happen if that was not his aircraft? It si of course possible that Carganico "inherited" Yellow 7 from Dahmer, but as Carganico had a special taste in aircraft (prefering to fly with the early canopy, even on his Bf 109Fs) I think he would prefer having an aircraft of his own.

So for now, I'd say that W.Nr. 968's ID number is unknown, Yellow 7 was flown by Carganico and Yellow (not white) 11 was possibly Dahmer's or another persons aircraft. It may be this aircraft that features in the background of several photographs of I./JG 77 aircrew taken shortly after arrival in the north, that aircraft is clearly makred Yellow 11.

What is certain is that Yellow 7 did carry the "dog in diamond" insignia. I have several profiles prepared of this aircraft throughout its carrer (its camouflage and markings changed in subtle but obvious ways with time and there's a phopto of an aircraft with the dog emblem overpainted, probably after Carganico had received a new aircraft). I'll post the profiles at the AHS disucssion forum soon.

More later,

Kjetil
Old 4th April 2006, 17:46
Alter Hase

Andreas Brekken is on a distinguished road

Hi.

Funny that an article by Kjetil Aakra on this very bird will be published on the www.ahs.no website tomorrow.

Regards,
Andreas
Old 4th April 2006, 18:00

Kjetil Aakra

Ok, no need to post the profiles then!

Perhaps we can discuss this aircraft here or in the other forum, Kari, if you are interested? I'd surely like to close the book on this one, in case others have knowledge to share on the matter!

Thanks Andreas.

Kjetil
Old 4th April 2006, 18:20
Alter Hase

Jim P. will become famous soon enough

Well, the only other thing I can add this conversation is that in the photo of 'yellow 11' the rudder is clearly Carganico's.
Old 4th April 2006, 20:29

Hello Jim, Kjetil and Andreas!

Well, I will stay and wait what this all wíll boil to. I have wondered this subject quite awhile. Managed to buy a (repro) photo of Dahmer by his Bf 109E rudder (1 Euro!) last weekend and decided to ask here too. I had absolutely no idea about any forthcoming articles or so.

Regards,
Kari
Old 4th April 2006, 21:40

Kjetil Aakra

Now that I have looked at the photo of Yellow 11 again I agree that the rudder definitely looks like it is that of Carganico. However, there is a that photo of the rudder detached and a switch between aircraft is also possible.

What is puzzling to me are all the photographs with Cargainco in and around Yellow 7. Admittedly there's even one with Carganico and Dahmer in front of it, so I am not excluding the possibillity that this was flown by Dahmer! I just haven't found compelling proof of this yet.

The "article" referred to is not "fresh", lets see what else will appear during this discussion.

Regards,

Kjetil
Old 5th April 2006, 19:03

Kjetil Aakra

Article may be seen here:

http://www.ahs.no/articles/aakra-Air..._Carganico.pdf

I am interested in feedback. I wrote this a while back so if you have any comments or new information please let me know.

Regards,

Kjetil