Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 29th March 2016, 17:05

supergt1971 is on a distinguished road
Eagle Hotel bombing King's Lynn June 12th 1942

Hi folks,
I'm new to these forums and i am looking for some information regarding a KG2 operation on the above date which resulted in the destruction of the Eagle hotel in King's Lynn.I have now narrowed down that this was carried out by a KG2 aircraft that were quite active over East Anglia at that time and that the aircraft was Dornier 217 possibly an E4 but now i am wondering if anyone could help with identifying the specific aircraft that carried out the raid.Next year (2017) is the 75th anniversary of this tragic event and i am hoping to put a piece together for a modelling build.If anybody can help i would be extremely grateful.Many thanks in advance. John
Old 29th March 2016, 17:41
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Re: Eagle Hotel bombing King's Lynn June 12th 1942

17 aircraft were operating in and around The Wash that evening. The normal aircraft at this time was the Do 217 E-4 which was operated by KG 2 and II/KG 40. There were also Ju 88s from II/KG 77 operating at that time so you would need a positive ID of the ac type. The logbooks I have from personnel from both units show missions either side of the date but not on the date. There were no losses or accidents that night.

Last edited by Chris Goss; 29th March 2016 at 21:02.
Old 29th March 2016, 18:04

supergt1971 is on a distinguished road

Hi Chris,many thanks for your reply,this attack happened around 21.30 hrs and the Eagle was the last hit from a stick of four bombs,two landing on open ground and one on an empty pig market so i wonder if the docks here were the target.Were any other units operating in this area as witnesses say it was certainly a Dornier,some said a Do17 but i'm sure this is wrong for that year.
Regards John
Old 23rd December 2018, 04:13

Hornchurch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergt1971 View Post
Hi Chris,many thanks for your reply,this attack happened around 21.30 hrs and the Eagle was the last hit from a stick of four bombs,two landing on open ground and one on an empty pig market so i wonder if the docks here were the target.Were any other units operating in this area as witnesses say it was certainly a Dornier,some said a Do17 but i'm sure this is wrong for that year.
Regards John
'

Hi John,

Have just been looking at your interesting contributions towards "The Eagle" thread & the bombing attack of June 12th 1942, over on the King's Lynn discussion forum, along with those fabulous pictures that other contributors have submitted.
(along with the unfortunates, whose names have appeared on the killed/bombing casualty list)

Ironic that it led me here, because, like you, it's an interesting board & I figured I might learn more about the Luftwaffe aspect of that raid.
(rather than the British civilian casualty & damage aspect, highlighted on the other board).

Whilst I've yet to learn any more in that respect, I'd wholeheartedly agree with your latter comment, regarding it being a '217, rather than the older '17.
(I figured those that survived, served out in the Balkans or, on the early days of Barbarossa, etc)

Incidentally, our road was "shut down" in October 1996 (in London), due to an unexpected discovery of a LARGE unexploded bomb, dropped by a K.G.3 Dornier Do.17 that was part of a formation "trying" to knock-out RAF Hornchurch, during the summer of 1940.

Probably like you, I bought both the Revell Dornier 217 & it's respective "Pro-Modeller" version in 1/48th & have always held an interest in the type, since I built my first AIRFIX Do.217 waaaay back in the early 1970's - (in the dreaded Sky Blue plastic = A far cry from the attractive Revell AG kit in 1/48th)

Would be nice "if" someone reading this could possibly add to ANY additional information, regarding the 12th June attack on the port-town of King's Lynn, in Norfolk, by the Luftwaffe.

(Here's hoping, however vague).

Attachment 17509
Old 23rd December 2018, 14:25
Alter Hase

Brian Bines is on a distinguished road

Cannot help much with Luftwaffe activity this night just the following :-

From the KG 2 history by Ulf Balke evening of 12th June attacks on England by 17 bombers in the area of the Wash on the English East Coast

Home Office Key Points reports - Miner bombing incidents in Lincolnshire, Norfolk and Dorsetshire no Key Points affected

AIR16/236 file - A few e/a crossed the South Coast and some bombs were dropped harmlessly near Poole

Nothing specific to Kings Lynn which have been reported on local police ARP records .

Last edited by Brian Bines; 23rd December 2018 at 14:59. Reason: Originally quoted for 12/13th August too much Mulled Wine
Old 23rd December 2018, 14:33
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

I can add nothing further apart from the last Do 17 to crash on land was in May 1941 and a few were shot down into the sea during the Baedeker Raids a year later. Both KG 2, KG 3 and KG 76 attacked Hornchurch..............