Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 22nd August 2017, 12:51

bernhard riegler is on a distinguished road
Sg103 - pilots log book

Hi All,

Just received a copy of my Uncles Pilot log book and have some questions if any have info that might help.

He was posted to SG103 in mid Feb 1945, operating out of Fassberg and started converting to FW190`s for ground attack. The log shows the FW190`s he trained on as G28, G55, G62 and G45. I assume these mean Gelb and the number ?. First question
Second question is does anyone possibly have info or come across these high numbers or those exact numbers in their records or photos ? or possibly FW190 model ?
Third question would be what would this aircraft look like in terms of paint scheme and where would these numbers typically be applied ? I have bought a few books and such but it doesn't seem exact. Some show the number might be on the nose and some say on the rear fuselage. Also could not get anything on the paint scheme. The closest I have come is a Gelb 28 photo but this was a combat craft that looked like it had a high training school number.

Fourth question - No books or online research show any squadron logo or shield for SG103. was there ever one ?

Last questions is the off chance of someone having an idea or records of his last flights. He took off from Fassberg on 12 April 45 in Yellow 45 and flew first to Perleberg then on to Grossenbrode and finally ending up on the evening of 15th April in Lubeck Blankensee. This was listed as a transport flight. I bought the history of Lubeck Blankensee airfield and it doesn't state anything of aircraft gathering from areas under threat of allied overruns. If he flew out of Fassberg on 12th April, looking at the timelines, the British were some 40km away and would overrun the airfield on 16th April. Reading the records, it would seem that the personnel destroyed their aircraft before the allies came. I doubt I will ever have clarity as to why a novice pilot with only about an hour in FW190`s was tasked to transport an aircraft ending up in Lubeck. The family do not know and the pilot log book is not endorsed on arrival at Lubeck (which I suppose in the last days of the war is not uncommon). thank you , any info would be most welcome. Photos are of his logbook excerpt, a Yellow 28 which talks about originally a training unit number and white 40 with the number being painted on the nose
Old 22nd August 2017, 14:07
Alter Hase

Snautzer will become famous soon enough
Re: Sg103 - pilots log book

http://www.ww2.dk/air/attack/sg103.html
Old 22nd August 2017, 14:12

bernhard riegler is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snautzer View Post
Hi

thanks, I have seen this

regards
Old 22nd August 2017, 19:55
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

Some insights that I hope will prove useful.

1) In the last days of the war, anything that could fly was used.

2) Transport flights usually means something was dropped to defenders on the ground without any order in writing. I have read about supply drops but how these drops were accomplished using fighter aircraft is not specified.

3) Some late-war aircraft were photographed with numbers spray painted on the fuselage. This suggests ad hoc units formed to do specific things. Much like the Kampfgruppe in the Army that took whatever men they could find to create "irregular" formations the enemy would not expect.

4) Pilots with more training were generally used to improve the odds of survival.

More information: https://www.asisbiz.com/Luftwaffe/sg103.html

Ed
Old 6th January 2021, 16:48

sg 103 is on a distinguished road

Hi Berhard,

my Dad was a Pilot in II./SG 103 at Fassberg. He want also fly to his hometown in April 1945, but due to lack of gas it was not possible. So he become in 16.04.45 POW of the British Forces. In his Flight logbook he marked the registration-numbers of the aircrafts with "g" for yellow, "rt" for red and "w" for white. His logbook shows the FW190`s he trained on as g58, g12, g23, g26 (Fw 190 F-8). g63 (Fw 190 F-9), g40 (Fw 190 F-2) and w(white)87 (Fw 190 F-8). These flights were between 25.02.45 and 02.04.45.

Best regards
Hans
Old 7th January 2021, 18:54

Fleetenkiecker is on a distinguished road

Hello Bernhard,
the high numbers are typical for the school squadrons. Each squadron had its own system to mark the aircraft. A crest for SG 103 is not known.Be glad that your uncle was still able to transfer an aircraft on April 12. In the first week of April, I./SG 103 with 400 men was reorganised into a battalion and sent towards Bad Gandersheim. They never arrived there.
Regards,
Sven
Old 7th January 2021, 20:53

cproyston is on a distinguished road

Here’s (very likely) an SG103 Fw 190F-8 wreck at Fassberg, as discovered by 403 Sqn RCAF, probably Ge 4 :

https://rcaf403squadron.wordpress.co...14/reg-morris/

Last edited by cproyston; 7th January 2021 at 21:49.
Old 10th January 2021, 17:42

sg 103 is on a distinguished road

Hi cproyston,
ge 4 - are you sure? it looks more like "Yellow 40"..
Regards
Hans
Old 11th January 2021, 14:36

cproyston is on a distinguished road

Hi Hans,

I agree it looks like there might be a partial code there, but hopefully the attached shows it's just a trick of the light, and you're just seeing a patch of the cowling upper-surface camouflage colour, and that the aircraft is indeed 'Gelbe 4':

http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/pictur...&pictureid=723

Cheers,
Chris