Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 8th July 2013, 04:41

qltngal is on a distinguished road
Re: Captain Edward E. Hunt KIA Nov. 8, 1944

Danny- I haven't been on here for awhile and am playing catch-up. What is an IDPF? Is that the one with the autopsy report? Thanks.
Renee'
Old 12th July 2013, 00:21

drgondog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by qltngal View Post
Thank you so much for this information. I haven't looked here in forever, I thought I had gotten everything I was going to get. My Dad died when my Mom (Jeanne) was 3 mo pregnant with me so I never knew him. I started researching about 5 years ago and now know so much more about him & what he did. I would love to have a better copy of this picture. I don't think the background plane is his. When he went back after his last leave (Aug ' 44) he got the P-51D (the Ready Edy) & the Jeanne Mio (a P-51B)was reassigned. But what a great picture. Thank you so much. Let me know if you can send me a better copy & what info you need. You all on this site have been awesome in helping me out and it is greatly appreciated.
He probably could have swapped with the "B" Crew Chief when it was re-assigned to get both side panels if only a day or so lapsed.
Old 18th October 2013, 22:55

aaatripp is on a distinguished road

To Renee' (qltngal) and rborst,

A big THANK YOU! for your comments on this thread which apparently now have provided the info. to prove that one of the artists painting nose art for the 353FS in the ETO of WWII was: crew chief, Sgt. ALFRED BORST!!

I've been searching for several years now to identify this person. For the 356FS, it's been easy as the work of Will Louie has been well documented.
Several members of the 355FS gave me a couple of likely names but I could never find any evidence of the painter of the nose art for the 353rd....until now!

If you check out the nose art of the following 353FS a/c you'll note the block-style lettering, use of a border on all letters, distinctive "M", and shape of the curve on certain letters that seem conclusive:

1. Jeanne Mio/Ready Eddy - Edy Hunt
2. Margie Maru (early edition) - Jack Bradley
3. Arson's Reward - Wallace "Bud" Emmer
4. Bonnie B (early two) - Don M. Beerbower
5. Julienne Hi! - John Montijo
6. Rigor Mortis - Ed Regis
7. Beantown Banshee - Felix M. Rogers

Many of you will recall that Glen Eagleston's FT-L "Feeble Eagle" had that dramatic painting of the attacking eagle and Bruce Carr's FT-I "Angel's Playmate" also had more elaborate painting than those listed above.

If anyone has addtl. info. about the 353FS nose art or other painters please reply via this forum. Many thanks!
Regards,
Tripp
Old 21st October 2013, 22:42

ssg keay has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Hallo Renee, now I have not been on for a while. An IDPF is the individual deceased personnel file and yes..it has the medical/dental data and all info about where assumed to have been lost and if the person is an MIA, what was done to locate the body. If the person is not missing, it will identify what was found in order to determine the persons identity.

Danny
Old 23rd October 2013, 03:28

qltngal is on a distinguished road

Does anyone remember a Robert Reynolds, a pilot in the 353rd? He's listed in Steve Blakes book as a pilot assigned to a P-51 with my Dad, Capt. Edward E. Hunt. The names on the plane were Jeannie Mio/Ready Edy (42-106597). Still looking for more information about my Dad. All of you who have jumped in to help have been awesome. You will never know how much it means to me.
Old 23rd October 2013, 22:58

Hi Renee'

I found Reynolds on the Mission Schedule for 9 Aug 44, filed by 353FS Adjutant, 1LT Carl Bickel. Yes, these are the two missions when 353FS CO Maj. Don Beerbower was shot down and KIA, and 353FS OPSO and acting CO Wallace (Bud/Wally) Emmer was shot down and MIA/POW/DNB.

On both missions Reynolds was flying FT-S, that is the squadron identifier for your father's aircraft. Your dad was on leave stateside, visiting your mother and making it possible for you to join us!

Best,
Tripp
Old 4th November 2013, 13:19

ssg keay has a little shameless behaviour in the past

If someone can enlighten me on the crash site, I might be able to see if I know anyone near the site that can see if any parts are still in the ground. Danny
Old 22nd December 2013, 20:40

I believe that Renee has received some official documents which described the crash site & location in detail, along with the disposition of her father's remains.

AFHRA documents list the following Technical Line Crew for FT-S:
Crew Chief - S/Sgt Cheney
Asst. CC - Sgt J. Davis
Armorer - Sgt Bourbon

The aircraft (a/c) is listed as "Ready Edy" and "Jeannie Mio" assigned to 1st Lt Hunt.

Tripp
Old 17th January 2014, 23:31

After some research I believe that I have some additional information, Renee, regarding your father's aircraft. Since you already have Steve Blake's book on the 354FG much of it can be found in the back reference areas.

1. The 1st a/c assigned to your father appears to be P-51B-5 #43-6378 coded FT-S, which was known as MISFORTUNE II. Edy got 4 1/2 of his aerial victories in this a/c before it was damaged on 4/30/44, only six days after your dad got his 6 1/2th kill. The a/c was repaired & recoded for other use.

2. Edy's next a/c was #42-106597 FT-S which is widely known under the double names JEANNE MIO/READY EDY (painted by Alfred Borst). He got his last kill in this a/c on May 28th to bring his official total to 7 1/2 confirmed enemy a/c destroyed.

Some records also show this a/c to be known as SMOLDERING BOULDER. I can't tell if this was a prior name before it was assigned to your dad, or a name associated with its assignment to Robert Reynolds after your dad left the Sqdn to go on leave back to the States. This a/c was later lost in action on Sept. 9, 1944....but only after Reynolds succeeded in getting 3 FW-190 confirmed kills with it on that same day!

3. Edy's 1st & 3rd kills were in Ed Regis' RIGOR MORTIS (FT-V) and Bud Emmer's PEACEFUL PENGUIN (FT-G) respectively. The other 5 1/2 aerial victories were in his own assigned a/c.

4. Your dad's last assigned a/c appears to be P-51D-5 #44-13559 FT-U READY EDY. It was a newer a/c and was the one Edy was piloting when he was lost on Nov. 8, 1944. (Blake's book has this a/c coded as FT-U; perhaps this is an error, or someone already had FT-S when Edy returned).

Your dad's last claim was a ME-410 damaged on Oct. 21st, but that was in
a different a/c, FT-pi.

Hope that this helps more with your search!

Best wishes,
Tripp
Old 17th January 2014, 23:38

All----

In Sqdn records at AFHRA I've found a listing of Technical Line Crews which indicates that 353FS nose artist SSgt. Alfred Borst was assigned as Asst. Crew Chief to FT-D, the P-51 Mustang of 2nd Lt. John S. "Jack" Miller. This listing is from early '44 as it includes Ed Regis, who had to bail out and became a POW on 4/26/44. Most likely Alfred Borst would have moved up to Crew Chief sometime after that.

---

Jack Miller was flying FT-H on Bud Emmer's wing on the afternoon mission #193 on 9 Aug 44 when Bud's plane was hit by flak from a German 88mm antiaircraft battery. The fuselage fuel tank of the plane exploded and Jack Miller followed it down for some time but did not recall seeing a parachute. He did not file an Eyewitness Report to the MACR. However, 1Lt Ted Sedvert did see a parachute and at 1855 filed an ER to MACR #8149. Miller was flying FT-T on the ill-fated mission #192 in the morning when squadron commander Don Beerbower was lost.

Regards,
Tripp

Last edited by aaatripp; 18th January 2014 at 14:51. Reason: additional data