Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2nd October 2013, 02:44

Fabrizio is on a distinguished road
Found a BF109 crash site, all infos welcome!

Hi from France!
I'm new here and came to share my last "treasure".

When I was I kid I heard several times old people from my village speaking about a german plane that crashed in the fields surrounding the village.
Unfortunately, well, old people at some point die, and when last year I bought a metal detector, couldn't speak no more with them.
This year I spoke with an old friend of my parents, whose wife had seen by her own eyes, when she was 6yo or so, the burning wreck, the wounded pilot sreaming etc.
He told me to go and speak with two 89 & 94yo sisters still living in the village, that went with his wife to the crash site minutes after hearing the big bang.
They remebered it, even if they told me it was a british plane, but were able to exactly locate it.
Very uncertain informations, but, I wouldn't keep the doubt in mind so I picked up my bip-bip-machine and walked to the site.

And then, at the exact same spot they indicated, after no more than seconds of search..BIP BIP! Aluminium everywhere! Rivets! Tubing!
First revealing part was a brocken aluminium oil-line connector, stamped ARGUS and some numbers.
Asked google about it and found that ARGUS was not less than the manufacture assembling….V1 flying bomb pulse jet engine! And misc parts for the luftwaffe too, only war time as the plat was closed in 1945. Just hours after hearing the story from the sisters I already had the crash site plus the proof that it was a german WW2 era "thing" !
Next day, super excited, I went back to the site. Found again aluminium fragments, steel bolts, and two much bigger parts made of cast aluminium, with steel bolts still attached, and a suuuper nice engine head fragment with exhaust ports, valve, spring and retainers on it !
Google again, and within minutes I identified the bits as bits of a Daimler-Benz DB600 series engine (found out later that it should be precisely a DB605).

And, what I was looking for, mainly mounted on Bf 109 fighters. Couldn't believe it!

Since then, I've searched the spot almost every day, finding every day more stuff.

It's now almost sure that this is -well, was- a Messerschmitt Bf 109 G "Gustav" or later, since I found dozens of 13mm and 20mm MG shells and projectiles, even a steel belt links from, I believe, a mg151/20
I found the big bolts attaching the wings to the fuse, an intake valve, a crankshaft counterweight, a metal ring from the pilots seatbelt, melted aluminium and so on…already 2 small wooden crates full!

I'm now looking for more informations, about the fragments, the exact model of 109 they could come from, and, of course, anything that could help me ID the plane, pilot, date and story of the crash, etc…any help strongly welcome!

Last edited by Fabrizio; 2nd October 2013 at 15:06.