Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 16th June 2019, 12:18
Alter Hase

Johannes has a spectacular aura aboutJohannes has a spectacular aura about
Re: Egon Mayer:his 80th claim on 06/09/43

Hi Guys

Something that might interest you.

There is a sub mikrofilm for Stabst./JG2 that matches the main daily microfilm, it lists only time and date, no pilots name/altitude/type e.t.c, the times all match the daily microfilm. However the main microfilm for January 1944 is missing, there is a sub one listing all details for A.S.M claims, but the microfilm with time and date exists, there is one claim that I have no name for 5th January 1944 1100 hrs, only two pilots were claiming at that time Mayer and Rudolf Alf, as Mayer claimed ten for each of Alf's it should really be his, but cannot prove it, this also assumes that Alf was Mayer's wingman and only pilot flying each time, other possible candidate that I can find is Friedrich Edelmann.

As JG2 is known for overclaiming, and Mayer had problems with the ego-eccentric over-claimer Josef Wurmheller, I am guessing but if not personal then perhaps Mayer suspected Wurmheller was overclaiming, yet even the worst units had truelly honest guys, question is how do Mayer's claims match-up to Allied losses?

Kind Regards

Johannes
Old 16th June 2019, 14:39
Alter Hase

focusfocus is on a distinguished road

Hi Johannes

Concerning Wurmheller who has the reputation(rightly so) of a fictitious claimant,perhaps dishonest,with the exeption of some days of "wacky" claims against B-17 (as 16/04,17/05,29/05 also valid for the others protagonists involved),his claims in 1943 are for the most part justified.Why? 1943

Some ex:

16/02=2 claims..justified
01/05=1 claim....justified
28/06=1 claim....justified
03/08=1 claim....justified
16/08=1 claim....justified
22/08=1 claim....justified
27/08=1 claim....justified
02/09=1 claim....justified
03/09=2 claims..justified
15/09=1 claim....justified

Out of 19 claims in 1943, 12 are justified (100%),3/4 others shared ...not
bad for a decried.
We saw worse!

According to me,for Mayer,2 are founded (including 1 shared).

Best Regards
Michel
Old 17th June 2019, 06:14
Alter Hase

Johannes has a spectacular aura aboutJohannes has a spectacular aura about

Hi Michel

Thanks for the Mayer/Wurmheller assessment. Only reasons I can think of for a sudden period of honesty for Wurmheller are influence by Mayer who would appear to have been onto him, or Wurmheller becoming more responsible as a Staffelkapitan, if he reverts to overclaiming after Mayer's death, and under Buhligen's leadership, then the former seems more likely.

I have for sometime thought the honesty of a Geschwader was due to it's leader, Max Stotz seems only to overclaim under Hans Hahn's short leadership.

Also I was wondering who was the first person to verify a Gruppenkommandeur's/Kommodore's claim, there is no obvious due benefiter when Nowotny become Kommandeur!

Best Regards

Johannes